Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 PM

I've been using a large flannel sheet hung with cafe curtain clips from a brass rod in brackets on the wall near the ceiling of a long hall. Just today I had to replace it with a little larger sheet to accommodate a queen-size quilt I'm piecing. The rod wasn't quite long enough, so I separated it in the center and placed a solid rod into both ends. It's huge now .... plenty wide ..... but I'll have to fold the quilt over after a while to accommodate the queen size length.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 AM

YES, you need a design wall!!!!!

I used sound board and covered with cotton batting. It is horizontal on one wall. It is 8' wide by 6-1/2' high. As you can see it gets used as a sort of bulletin board too.

I love it! There's not much on it right now, but it usually does have. I purchased corner round to put around the edges but never got around to putting it up. Maybe I will now.

I also put a hanging pin cushion on both sides so pins, if needed, are there.

Originally Posted by Qbee
I used insulation board like someone here on the board recommended. covered it in batting and it works great! :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142024.jpe  
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM

I agree that I need one and can hardly wait for that to happen! When I posed the question here on the board, I was looking for ideas, and got so many! Thank you all for sharing your ideas!

I won't be moving into the house until late in June. It's an old farm house with lots of light everywhere, especially in the big room that will be my quilting room. Enough wall space to do a good-sized design wall. I will post pictures when I am into the house and have an idea of what I'm doing!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I have taken a $10 cork board from Hobby Lobby and cut it into 5-3"X20" strips
Run a line across the wall around 8" from the top, putting the strips of cork on the line and straight pins through the cork into the sheet rock (without ruining the paint or rock)
You can hang a quilt or a flannel sheet on it for a design wall, It will hold quilted quilts to hide what you are working on.
Sue
This idea is super!
My small design wall (4 x 4') is one of those $5.00 display boards, found in the office/stationery dept at Wal-Mart, covered with flannel I had leftover from a quilt back. I used tacky glue to adhere the flannel to the board. It still folds almost all the way up when not in use. I do lean it against the wall, as I don't trust everything to stick if it is perfectly vertical.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM

How many of you tack little things up on the design board when it's not being used for block placement? Or use it to hold stray pins, etc. When it's not being used, isn't it lonely?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM

I always have some blocks or a project going so my design wall is never bare. I keep my pins that are only used for the design on the board all the time too.