Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 AM

I used those over-the-door 'hooks' and a shower curtain rod. I got some fuzzy flannel and made a sleeve on top to go through the rod, and a small one on the bottom to insert a wooden dowel for weight. I pieced the flannel and hung it over the closed doors of the closet in my sewing room. This way I can take it down and roll it to store it out of sight when I'm not working on it.

Here's a picture of it: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...03630418GLWHnS

Works great for me, and hubby's happy that I did not need to put any holes in the walls. Hope it helps!

Trina :)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 AM

WOW, so many ideas! Thanks to all of you---don't stop now!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
rb.

I don't have a sewing room, but I do have a dining room. LOL. My design wall is a flannel sheet that I put on livingroom furniture. When the family needs the furniture, I roll it up, everything stays put on it, and I stash it in my bedroom.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 AM

I converted one of the kids bedrooms to my sewing room. I took the doors off the closet and put shelves and a metal container with drawers (kind of like a file cabinet only it has small drawers instead of files). I have hung a decorative rod above the closet and all the way across the wall. I have a piece of white felt that I hang over the rod and it gives me my design wall. I love it! It is easy to pin my blocks and rearrange as needed.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM

I use a piece of batting 60 x 72 that i hung on a curtain rod on the wall. Works really well, hold lots of stuff and so far I haven't had to use pin or anything else to secure stuff.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM

I went to Lowe's and purchased a huge sheet of green insulation board. I then drug it home..and asked DH to hang it for me. Well..I waited and waited..and waited..6 months past..and that blasted board was laying in our upstairs hallway. Last week..I decided that I was tired of asking him to hang it. I got a brillant idea! I had 200 feet of velcro left from making leaders for my longarm. I decided where and how high I wanted it. I measured and made sure it would hang level. I drew lines on the back of the board..top and bottom horizontally, then I made 4 vertical line evenly spaced on the board. I put the velcro together..and stuck it to the board. Then turned the board to face the wall and removed the tape on all the rows of velcro. The board is very light and I had no trouble lifting it and sticking it to the wall. It is covered now with flanel. Hubby came home..and looked at me..Nice Job!
By the way...it is still sticking to the wall..LOL
Peace and Blessings,
Janet
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Mine is the same as Bigsister63 ... a large flannel backed tablecloth pushpinned to the wall. It works great!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I have 2 pieces of pressboard leaned up against my wall. Then I bought a cheap picnic tableclothe from the dollar store that had cotton on the back and draped it over the boards. The fabric sticks to the back of the picnic tableclothe fantastically.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I purchased from home improvement store a 4'x8' by 1" thick piece of insulating sheathing (owens corning). I then cut it in half with a utility knife making 2 4'x4' pieces. Using duct tape , tape the sides back together (like a book). I then opened it up and duct taped some cheap batting (or you could use flannel or felt) over the entire inside. It folds up and can be stored under a bed or in a closet when not used. P.S. I used the 1" thickness so my pins would be less likely to go all the way through.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM

A flannel sheet push pinned to the wall. Small things will stick to the flannel without pinning but when I get long strips etc. together I just pin it to the flannel with quilters straight pins. Works for me. I have a step ladder in the room when I need to pin from the ceiling down for larger quilts.