Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

• When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Not quilting but I wanted a car seat for my dog. I don't like the ones they have online so I designed my own. Just needed my brother to cut it for me. To me it was simple. Make a box and put the foam in it I just wanted an angled piece to keep it level on the seat. He has now designed a frame made out of PVC pipe that is ajustable for different seats. ON paper!! I will probably never see it in actuality before my dog goes to the rainbow bridge.And why do I need it to fit different seats? No one else takes the dog in their car, I have no plans on ever buying another car etc. Gotta love them.
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Ask the guys at the Home Depot/Lowe's/lumberyard to cut it for you, then you can cover it yourself. I used a hollow-core door, several layers of batting and some old cotton. I LOVE it. It is 7' long and 28" wide!
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM

yes i understand my husband thinks everything has to be done with metal so i don't even say anything anymore as none of the things i want will not work in wood apparently and he hasn't done a single thing for his better ideas. we agree to disagree. his way may of worked for a military ship but i don't need any of that in a home enviroment. also still trying to get him out of living the 60's before he went in the military and can't get him to leave the camis so we now have it he can wear them at home but i just go back in the house till he changes to go somewhere together. when he was overseas the last time before retirement i got rid of the big bell bottoms thank goodness.please how do you get a guy out of a time warp???by the way he didn't believe me he looked like a homeless person with the camis till security was called when we were visiting a friend in her mobilehome park. it was a good thing we knew the guy.lol
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM

you poor thing.... waist the money and buy one already made. No, I didnt, but all most. I got 2 out of 1 piece of 1/2 inch piece of plywood. put cotton batting on it and cover with heavy muslin or canvas. It has been recovered several times. the ply has not come unglued. I have had it 10yrs. love it. Mine is 44 X 60.

good luck.
    Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

I agree I ask for that same board about 4 months ago ... Maybe after reading your post I will go Sat while he is off doing his thing and buy the plywood and get it at my quilt house before he knows it..... Im thinking I will screw mine to an old Ironong board I got......... it is one heavy duty ole girl then cover it with cotton batting and muslin .....lol yep think I can do this ...lol
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM

My son is one and we laugh at him alot with doing things in his house!
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM

OMG ... someone PLEASE come over here and help me with my husband. I love him dearly ... honest .. but he's killing me.

He is now looking at purchasing table legs to build a table. A whole table. Why? Because he watched the Sharon Schamber video and she mentioned she covered her Costco table, but he doesn't want a pre-made table because he doesn't think the top is *right*.

Anyway ... he found legs but the span of the legs at the bottom is 24" and I told him that with a top of only 18" - I'd trip over the legs. His solution was to make the top wider to fit the legs!! Not enough room in my sewing room for a 24" table!!

OK ... so NOW his solution is to move my whole sewing room into one of the larger rooms to accommodate a super large table that he'll build into the wall so it folds up and pivots out. All he has to do is MAKE THE TOP THAT I ASKED FOR. NO NO NO NO NO!!!

I'm sitting here at my PC and I have a perfect view of his PC at his desk in front of me and I'm watching him visit web site after web site. He's a man posessed and on a mission, but his mission is flawed.

This man is killing me. Part of me is laughing, part of me is grateful that he wants to help me, but part of me wants to slap him silly and say "STOP THE INSANITY!!".
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM

husband isn't an enggineer....but when I ask him for help with something like this............same thing....
    all I can say is it is a MAN thing....................lol
    Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM

My husband is a systems engineer .His specialty is computers. He never MAKES anything...won't even change his oil. I think your hubby sounds sweet. At least he cares enough to want to only do the best for you.
    Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM

DogHouseMom

I know what you mean. But in his defense the plywood will seperate over time. I use OSB board. Go to Home Depot or a Menards and you can buy a sheet of osb 2ftx4ft. then I have hubby round the 4 corners, then I do the rest myself. I use 1 thickness of warm and natural cut 1" wider all around the board. Place it on the rough side of board then measure cotton canvas or duck 3" wider than the board on all sides. turn board over and pull the canvas to the back and staple starting in the center of each side then keep working around the board pulling the corners taut keep stapling until you have the cover nice and taut on the front and back. I then spritz the board with hot water, let it dry so it shrinks nice and tight. then I use felt to cover the back and use it on a 2ftx4ft table. Hope this helps and that it makes sense.

good Luck

Suzy