Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops >

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 AM

I think you’re right. The Bureau of Weighs & Measures used to check my gas pumps back in Colorado during the 70s, but they put a sticker on each pump so the customers could see that it had been inspected. Maybe they had a certificate posted nearby for the fabric meters?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I don’t know if any of my meters work correctly or not. We haven’t planned on ever using them again, so I never have tried them.

As far as getting one calibrated for accuracy, I wouldn’t have a clue who might still do that. Which makes me wonder...

Who was responsible for making sure that they measured correctly? Were there inspectors that went around checking the meters for accuracy? I don’t see any stickers on my meter that would indicate that it had been checked by an Official. Surely they didn’t depend on irate customers to let them know that their meter was out of whack!

CD in Oklahoma
Dear CD,
I remember when the meters disappeared and I recall a clerk telling my mom that using the yardstick and the cutting groove were the new way to measure because the meters weren't as accurate.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
The meters worked well on woven fabric but not on knit which stretches. So while the meter reports 8yds in reality it might only be 7½yds.

What is the name of your very lovely avatar quilt, Glassquilt? It's a beauty!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by VickyS
Woolworth's and the 5 & Dime were the places I got the fabric for my 4-H sewing projects using those machines. Trying to find the "new" 45" material - so the clothing patterns had different yardage layouts for 36" and 45" material.

I remember the move it an inch forward and back, depending on whether the previous rip put the fabric way out of a straight line - the cheaper materials were not always woven evenly so they didn't tear straight. Then you would get home and have to straighten out the tears by pulling a thread and cutting along the pulled thread line. So much work!
Why would a pulled thread line be any more straight than a ripped line?
It isn't ! They are the same!
But, if you pull a thread and cut along it, the fabric is not distorted along the edges of the cut like it is when it is pulled when the fabric is torn and the threads along the torn edges ravel a little bit.

Oops, I misunderstood the post. Sorry!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I remember kettle Cloth... I liked it for skirts and shorts... it was a bit stiff and would hold the shape rather nicely... and Cloth World is closed???? Wow! It goes fast!
We had a stiffer type of fabric called "SHARK SKIN" which was good for skirts. Held creases real well, too. It wasn't all cotton.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM

The basement of Ben Franklin - which had the money canisters as well. What a great memory. They had the best grilled cheese bread hot dogs on the planet! The bread was grilled on both sides, the dogs were split open and grilled, and the whole thing was served open faced with as many dill pickles as you could eat. Heaven! (Of course, my travels back then were about 50 miles radius from where I lived, so it's possible someone else had better hot dogs...)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM

We had two dime stores in our neighborhood where we bought fabric. When we visited our grandmother in Georgia, we bought at Penney's. The JoAnn's here still uses the meter for measuring decorator fabric and batting.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I remember when the meters disappeared and I recall a clerk telling my mom that using the yardstick and the cutting groove were the new way to measure because the meters weren't as accurate.
A couple of posters mentioned buying fabric at TG&Y. The TG&Y here must have sold fabric, although we we’re living here at the time and never shopped at the store. But, we still use the old TG&Y cutting table in our shop. The previous owners bought it at the auction when the local TG&Y closed. It’s 6’ x 6’ square, has aluminum cutting slots on two sides, and brass yard sticks on all four sides. The brass measure sticks have common yard fraction markings on them (1/8, 1/4, 1/3, etc) as well as inches. It also has wide aluminum strips on two sides that look to me like could have been for mounting fabric meters on, but I’m not sure about that. They may have had some other purpose, but I don’t know what.

The table was set up for two cutters to work at the same time on opposite sides of the table. Each cutter had a small drawer just below the top for tools, and the rest of the area under the table was for storage and has sliding doors on two sides.

BTW - Rawdon E. Tomlinson, the “T” in TG&Y, was from Frederick Oklahoma and back in 1935 was one of the founders of the TG&Y chain of stores.

CD in Oklahoma

TG&Y Cutting Table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217954[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217948.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM

Usually bought my fabric out of the Sears catalog. The only fabric stores around were small and very expensive.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM

I remember those fabric meters used to stretch the double knit my mother bought at KMart. She hated those meters because she always got shorted on her fabric. Remember double knit??