Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm learning >

I'm learning

I'm learning

Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Your work is just beautiful. Sometimes people just dont understand the love and work that goes into a quilt. I love your ornaments.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by frarose
That is so sad. Yes, I would definitely call and make sure they arrived. But, since your gifts don't get acknowledged, I am of the mindset that you should no longer send gifts of any sort. If gifts aren't even acknowledged whether made or bought apparently they aren't appreciated.

Bye the way I LOVE the quilts, they are beautiful.
Unfortunately, this has happened to me with my DDIL and DGD's. I can't really fault the girls because their mother doesn't acknowledge/thank me for any gifts I've sent her. Finally, I pinned my son down and asked him why they can't pick up the phone and call to thank me (even if they don't mean it). His answer was, she just isn't into those kinds of things (handmade quilts, tops, dresses, etc). I will not be subjecting them to anything else that I've spent time on. Gift cards are it from me. Not satisfying for me, but...
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Absolutely love both of those quilts. Just can't imagine someone not even saying THANK YOU.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM

It happens..I make a baby quilt for the first baby of a family, if a thank you comes back or at least " a we got it " then the second baby in that family Gets one. A niece hinted at what she wanted for the second one but since I never knew they got the first I did not respond. It might not be the right way..but it is my way!!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Your quilts are lovely. So sorry your relatives did not acknowledge their gifts. No excuses.....most people would be thrilled to received something so beautiful and made with love.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM

These are lovely gifts.
I am sure you did not expect anything 'in return' but a 'Thank You' is a natural response and the least you should expect. When you give a gift you also reach out to the recipient showing your love, respect and appreciation. Not thanking you is like refusing an outstretched hand. It probably feels like it too.
My nephew and niece behaved just like yours. Finally, I decided to bring Christmas presents to a family shelter instead. I was sitting on the floor helping a little one with a toy when all of a sudden sticky little arms almost choked me and I got a huge wet kiss.
Being grateful is not learned, it's natural and it does nurture human interactions both ways. It has nothing to do with 'payment' or 'returns'.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm sorry your feelings are hurt - but some people just don't get it.

Your gifts are lovely.

Take pride in your job well done and gift freely. It will come back to you - but maybe not from your family.
Do not be sad!
These things happen in all families!
Call to ensure it was delivered and say nothing more!
And next ... make their quilts for people who will appreciate the love and work put into them!
Now ... eat a chocolate and smile! Please!
I send a big hug!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
I think both are fantastic. In the future I would send a nice card and a pack of coupons from McDonalds or Burger King with a note that you hope they enjoy every one. :o) Never Never piss off a quilter :o)
Good one!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM

You know that's just plain rude! I'm sorry that they do not realize what a treasure thy have been given. I absolutely love your ornaments. If you dont mind what is the name of the pattern/book they came from?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Lois, I'm sorry you feel bad, you shouldn't. Your intentions and your love for your family are crystal clear. Some people still think that we sew to make things cheaper than what we could buy them for. (Like during the olden days) They don't realize that good quilting fabric is expensive and our time is valuable too. But let's face it, we love to make quilts. We love to wrap people, both literally and figuratively in the warmth of our love.