Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM

I just turned 50 and I just started quilting last year. It wasn't an age thing for me, it was a time issue. When my girls were little and I worked full time, I didn't have time for hobbies. I remember the first time my husband saw me crocheting...he said "You can do that?" :lol: :lol: He thought only grandmas knew how to sew and crochet. My grandma taught me when I was 6 :wink: I think we have to work at dispelling the myth that quilting is only for the old!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM

I am 35 and my husband says it makes me old. However I found a new friend my age that quilts and now he doesn't think it is so bad. Makes me laugh. I always said that I was born in the wrong time period.

I did join a quilt guild and I was by far the youngest person there but I just think "experienced" quilters have so much to teach me!

Carrie
Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM

I'm 22. Started when I was 19, I think.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm 67, started quilting when I was about 30. My gr-grandson likes to sew with me. He is 12 and has three quilts in the process now. He's been sewing for about three years.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM

I JUST started - and I am 34 - no kids running around so no good reason for not starting sooner. My husband hopes this sticks - not like Photography or scrapbooking, or computer programing or . . . :)

Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM

I am 36 and I don't know of any quilters around here that are my age...bothered me for a second, then I got over it. I don't care if my kids think it's for grannys!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm 39 and I wonder this often. Today I went to a "Sew and Tell" and, as usual, everyone was a generation older than I. It makes me sad that I don't have several more girlfriends that share my passion. The older ladies are dear people but we are just in a different place in life and I feel we don't connect. What is our generation doing?? Do they just sit around and watch American Idol?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Well I am 28 and I sometimes feel that way too! I feel like people laugh at me when I tell them I quilt, but I really dont care, I am an old soul, never have fit in with my age. I am just excited I found something that I really love to do!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM

I am 28, been quilting for about 10 years. my grams got me into it, i just loved all the things she made, and when mine got ruined by my sister's dog (stupid dog) i felt i could not ask her to make another one, what with more grandbabies coming for her and all, so i asked her to supervise me making one. still it takes me forver to make just one...usually about a year. mostly because of time, but because I also mend and have planty of side projects besides work and house stuff...and now i am sure i will be having even less time with my first baby on the way....10 weeks to go!!!

so if quilting makes you "old" was I old at 18? lol. i think your only as old as you want to be!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by sylslight
I am 28, been quilting for about 10 years. my grams got me into it, i just loved all the things she made, and when mine got ruined by my sister's dog (stupid dog) i felt i could not ask her to make another one, what with more grandbabies coming for her and all, so i asked her to supervise me making one. still it takes me forver to make just one...usually about a year. mostly because of time, but because I also mend and have planty of side projects besides work and house stuff...and now i am sure i will be having even less time with my first baby on the way....10 weeks to go!!!

so if quilting makes you "old" was I old at 18? lol. i think your only as old as you want to be!
Congrats on the new baby! How exciting!