Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 AM

Cute patriotic pup, Jennr8r!

I'm taking a quick break from my UFOs to make Boom blocks and I'm using 2.5" candies as leaders and enders. I'm making 16 patch blocks with them with the intention of making a quilt or two from Debby Browns challenge last year.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Love the scotty dog!

WMU, do you think people actually work patterns like the postage stamp from a pattern? It's so easy to just put together without needing one...
Old 02-11-2022, 09:07 AM

Once in a while you'll get a new quilter wanting a scrappy pattern to help with color placement, hoping it has directions like - cut 10 red, 15 blue, etc.

I spent some time the last weekend cutting up scraps - making a BH top that uses mostly 2" UF squares. This worked out as I had a lot of leftover binding strips that were originally cut at 2.25".

I also sorted out all my strings (most are less than 1.5" wide). I was also cutting for the "Aunt Dorothy" quilt in the challenge section. That one takes a lot of larger pieces, but did need about 150 colored 2.5" squares. So while going through scraps, after cutting larger pieces, I also cut 2.5" squares out of anything that was big enough for that. I figured I could pull from my candy box if needed, but instead I ended up adding to it. (BTW, - I do not pull from my candy box for this swap, that is all fresh cut candies )

I started out cutting up even the smaller pieces into triangles and 1.5" squares, but decided that was going to take way too long, so anything that was not long enough to use as a "string" or big enough to cut a 2" square out of got left - and I ended up with a decent pile. Figure if I vacuum pack them, I could get them all in a large flat rate postal box. They are what I'd call "crumbs", but I don't save pieces so small that I wouldn't want to sew them together. If someone wants them, please PM me. if postage is an issue, we'll work something out.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:10 PM

Sewbiz, I suspect that a new quilter, particularly one without a mentor or quilting friend, would not have the experience to just dive in and make a postage stamp quilt. We do it so easily with any size pieces that we have on hand. It makes me giggle now, but 30 years ago, I did not understand how to make and use strips to create four patches or how important it is to square up, press seams to one side, nest, spin seams and on and on. The simple geometry of a postage stamp might have scared me away.

I still have my first true quilt and I remember how "hard" it was. Tee-Hee-Hee it was a simple cat silhouette. Now the thought of purchasing a postage stamp pattern seems silly, but I have learned a few things since I switched from making garments to creating quilts.I went searching and found the book I use for my first quilt. "The Cat's Meow" by Janet Kime and it was from 1994. Yikes!! A nice trip down memory lane.

Like your pup, JENNR8R. Always wanted to make a pile of those as Scottie dogs for a friend.... never have. And, MacyBaby, you have been busy! I will be in line to see the Aunt Daisy Quilt (I think that is the one you were referring to.). It is lovely in two colors but I am anxious to see it in multi colors. I looked at the Facebook page for the sew-a-long and ran away to hide in the corner. Too many flying geese for me! Geese and I just don't get along. I leave that flock to you.

So nice to hear what y'all are up to this week while we wait to send out packages to our first birthday swapper.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

My first real quilt was an Irish Chain. My fabric selection leaves a lot to be desired!!
Old 02-12-2022, 01:14 PM

My first real quilt was a set of 12" sampler blocks. I was in my early 20's at the time, and that was before rotary cutters and rulers. I designed each block by hand on graph paper. Did it up in brown calicos, sandwiched it on my mom's frame out in the front yard as it was king size and too big to do in the house. Got it all basted and then spent the winter in a rocking chair with a hoop in my lap. And for a lot of it, I had a cat in my lap under the quilt. I did this while I was living with my parents with my infant son while DH was in basic training for the National Guard.

Didn't think it was anything all that special, and when it got worn out, I tossed it and didn't think anything more of it. I wasn't really into quilting back then, preferred garment sewing.

Fast forward about 30 years, after my Mom passed away and we were cleaning out her house, my brother contacted me as they had found a candy box with my name on it, and inside were a bunch of hand drawn patterns for quilt blocks. Turned out my mother had saved all my designs, and had them hidden away all these years. The strange part is they were not in her sewing room with the rest of her sewing stuff (though she had not sewing in about 15 years), they were in her bedroom with other mementos she had saved - she had 11 children and saved quite a bit.

Old 02-12-2022, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Awesome story, Cathy! You should use your old patterns and make another sampler. I can see why your Mom was proud enough to save your patterns.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:46 PM

Oh, such a sweet and touching story, Macybaby. I absolutely agree that you should make another, maybe not a king, but at least use the patterns as templates for a new sampler in honor of your mom and your progress as a quilter.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:46 AM

Jennr8r, that is too cute. Great use of candies.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:20 AM

ss2-2.22.jpg
macybaby what a beautiful thing mom did. she must have been an amazing person.
Working on a UFO, Splendid Sampler 2. When the book arrived, I went all in, mostly started with the embroidery blocks and few appliques. I had put it away to do something else, and now 4 years later I'm going to try to complete it, or at least get enough blocks done for a nice size quilt. . In the last week I've been able to do about 12 blocks. this one will be using mostly scraps, but will try to keep to a white background.
I completed #1 and hand quilted it, but it was challenging since some of the blocks were very dense. I think this one will go out to be quilted.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Valentines day.