Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Corky, I also have all boys (4) and didn't think they would care about my quilting, but when I first started trying to quilt my son and his wife asked me to make one for them (the one in my avatar). They chose the colors and I picked the fabrics (all outdoors related) and they absolutely love the queen size quilt I made for them. It took a very long time because I am a hand quilter, but the appreciation they expressed was so worth every bit of "me" that went into the quilt. One of my other sons was affiliated with the Phillies baseball team, and the first quilt I made was a cathedral windows quilt with fabric I found out of the blue, with Phillies logo on it. Two down, and two to go. We are spread out from the east coast to the west coast, and I hope that they will each be able to wrap up in a quilt I made for them and feel a "hug" from mom.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM

that is someone i wouldn't spend my time on with a gift for sure. I think it would be Big Lots (the store)gifts for her.no sense wasting my time or money.
big
lots have cheap comforters that will last a few washes that is good enough for her. That was just rude. But I guess people that don't sew or craft realize the time it takes to do them. Like Hd says don't let it get to you.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM

I read your reply and remembered a pattern in batiks that caught my eye: http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6824.htm
Maybe you might like it, too.

I really like that pattern and the colors!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM

I would have maddest about the inference that you were being cheap by giving a quilt. Quilting is not a cheap hobby - in fact, it is pretty expensive compared to most. It's not just the fabric and batting, it's the sewing machine and the longarm and the pattern/book, the thread and quilt stencil and the classes. All those indirect costs are part of the value.

And if I valued my time spent on a quilt at the rate I make on my job, you could probably buy a decent used car cheaper. I think I would have laughed and told my DH to tell her how I was 'saving' us into the poorhouse with my quilts.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Corky
She sounds like a nonquilter and a person who doesn't value handmade items from the heart. Don't let her bother you. At least you don't have to worry about ever making her one!! I actually thought at one time that my family didn't value my quilts (I have all boys) but then my son and his wife told me that they thought they would be getting a quilt for their wedding and that they were a bit disappointed that they didn't. Whoa! I am making them one now!! They like grey and brown, but that just doesn't pop for me... they really liked the black and white and gold one I made for my other son, but I can't repeat those colors.. hmm. I need something to put with the grey and brown that will zing.
you could try a deep blue or turqius with your colors.sorry about the spelling. Penny
Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Since she's "clueless", maybe you could educate her in a nice way! That would help her in the long run, as she would be less apt to "open mouth, insert foot". You could explain the cost of fabric, the hours of time spend on planning and creating, etc. She probably would then understand that the recipient of your gifts are the lucky ones!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

I think that people who don't quilt have NO idea how much money, time and planning go into a quilt. I made a French Braid quilt all from jewel tone, hand dyed fabrics. It was beautiful!! I took it to work to show my co-workers. One co-worker was admiring it saying how much she liked it (she was very excited and I knew she really liked it) but she said, "I bet you could sell it and get $100 for it. She didn't understand that $100 would not begin to pay for the fabrics I had it. I explained to her how much the fabrics had cost and the time involved, she felt bad. What she had ment as a compliment didn't turn out that way. She was not a seamstress all and she just didn't know. I was not offended because she loved the quilt and let me know that. I found that if I explain to someone like her what quilting involves, they will appreciate the quilts more. and the effort that it takes to make one.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM

We all have to grow up sometime. Remarks that hurt others need to be addressed. Or else they will alienante
many others from unlearned lessons.
I love what your mom said to you Rapture in response to your request. I am sure your mom loved what she did. And her words brought you back to reality.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM

My feelings would have been hurt also. This past fall I made 2 quilts, and 10 receiving blankets (45 x 45 inches) This cost was a few dollard past $200.00. It is not the amount of the money it is my great-grandson has 2 quilts made by his Bashee. One quilt was Overall Bill 9 squares and 3 special ones. One square was a pair of cowboys boots with a stetson over them in memory of his great grandpapa, and the othe 2 squares were colors of hisGrammie and Poppa T. school colors. The other quilt I made was an embroidery (machine) Monkey quilt. I would like to tell you what my Momma used to say, each stitch is a stitch of Love and that is why we make quilts. glenda in texas
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM

This reminds me of my MIL- she knows the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. I have made things for her, but only because it satisfies me. I don't look there for thanks or appreciation.