Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM

You may be trying to do too much. Make time for YOURSELF, even if it is only an hour a day. If you don't feel like quilting or sewing, then don't. Maybe next week you will feel like. By the way, if you are having trouble with you son, you are not just tired, you are stressed. Stress, makes us do strange things. I suffer from depression & when I am really depressed, I can't do anything. If you are having problems doing other things in your life, talk with your DR. If it is just sewing & quilting, just take a break for as long as you need.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM

You have a lot on your plate, a family, full time job,long comute, you have to be exhausted. Ease up on yourself.

I am retired so I have a lot of time but sometimes it is hard for me to go up to my sewing room. However once I get up there I get in the mood and want to stay. Haven't figured out why I have a hard time making it up there but I'm working on it.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM

It's challenging working all day, commuting an hour to and from work, and coming home to work more and tending to family needs. I've started by working at the cleaning a bit each day M-F, Sat. I prep. for Sunday School lesson. While it is important to spend time with family, it is also important to have time to yourself to replenish and revitalize. Sunday afternoon is me time. I spend 15 min or so making lists/planning out what needs to be done for the next week in addition to the cleaning. Then, I do something I want to do, sewing, reading, sleeping, time with friends, drawing patterns for projects, etc. Sometimes the other half can have a point, but negativity needs to be pointed out and ridded by all. Encouragement and many hands helping to make light work can breed happiness and a closer knit family. I find this helps build my enthusiasm toward my projects and picking up the seemripper doesn't bother me so much. Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM

This was exactly the reason I didn't start quilting until I retired, worked too many hours/day in a very demanding job, too many family issues etc. Now I babysit my gr. granddaughter, and when I have a few days off, pull out my project and get going. Cut yourself some slack, maybe you just need to wait until you've got more time to yourself, it'll come.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Sounds like me.I used to get out of bed, eat a little breakfast and go to the sewing room until lunch time. After lunch right back to the sewing room until about 5:00. I think I burned myself out. Now I have to force myself to go up there. Slow down, take it easy for a while and you will get back into the groove.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Be easy on yourself! There is a time for everything. I didn't sew much until I stopped working.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Linda71
Consider this. Go to the doctor. Have your vitamin D levels checked. I had stopped doing almost all my hobbies so I knew I had a problem. I asked to have it checked and it was VERY low. Now on a 1000mg pill, feeling better and better with each day.
Oh my gosh - true-er words were never spoken. All I could do by 5:30 when I got home from work was collapse in my chair and fall asleep. This continued into retirement and got worse. I could sleep 13 hours at night. I didn't have interest in things that absolutely didn't have to be done. Temper was short. People irritated me. Couldn't concentrate. Couldn't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. Finally went to Dr., had blood tests, and Vit D levels were almost non-existent. Am now taking 50,000 mg of Vit D once a week and it has made such a difference that I didn't think possible. I'm still not the old "energetic me" but I'm not 40/50 years old anymore. This is my third month of taking the vitamin. Everyday that the sun shines I'm out in it. I can't believe the things that I'm accomplishing now.

This may not be your problem, you have a lot on your plate. Get a physical, request blood tests and talk to your doctor. Process of elimination. Going through all this I've discovered that I'm healthier than I thought I was. That's been a relief also. :thumbup:

Good luck to you. We're pulling for you. {{{ HUGS }}}
Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Good Morning! Don't feel bad, LOVE your beautiful fabrics!Rest when you can, have a nice cup of cofee or whatever you enjoy, stay with the forum , you're with friends. After I get a project done my brain is absolutely empty, I couldn't thread a needle if asked to for a couple of days yet I feel quilty for being idle (I'm over 60yrs and was brought up that way), so I make small misc. log cabin blocks or s-g, I already have a big box, maybe into potholders for presents. I also sew soft toys , kick them around, growl at them when I feel lousy and blame them for my dumpsand lazyness.Doesn't help the sewing but makes me feel better.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Fabric needs to age before use. Buying and planning is as important as sewing. The sewing will come when it is right.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Many of us hit the wall occasionally... sometimes just petting and/or looking at our fabrics. It IS normal :D:D:D Maybe find a small project to get back in the swing? Sometimes I just make blocks... if they never get into a quilt? who cares? :D I enjoyed trying something new or different... maybe some day they will end up in a scrappy or a sampler... BUT I had some fun making them :D:D:D
I really like this idea because sometimes I see some great fabric or a block I wanna try and I "don't"...I'm gonna stop doing that and "Just Do It"
Kirsten