Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM

I don't think anything is wrong. After work and family things like dinner or whatever for most women that is the second shift of the day. So of course you are tired and burned out. I learned the hard way though you need to take time when you can for something for you. That may mean sew ot perhaps just resting.There is no set schudule to keep for creative things just enjoy it when you can and when you want.No need to stress and try and do everything. there are only so many hours in a day and you are only one person.I find now that I can't keep up the pace and things like before I was the only one worring about getting it all done.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM

When you work a full time job, have a long commute to and from work, have another full time job at home you are tired by the time you get finished with supper and clean up! Please give yourself a break; you have a lot on your plate right now and perhaps you could take one evening or one weekend day/evening for your quilting projects.

Some days when I get home all I want to do is get my shower, sit down and don't move! My DH is good about preparing supper for me and Gson, but does little housework, he does wash up after supper. Some days I have more energy than others and can get a few seams sewn, some days I have no energy left and don't get much of anything done.

Don't beat yourself up, just choose when you feel like you have 30 minutes or more to dedicate to your hobby.

Best of luck! delma
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

I think you are just temporarily overwhelmed. I am in that same boat. Trying to work a full-time job, raise two grandchildren (ages 17 and 7) and do the things I love to do in life (such as sew and quilt). Lately I've been in that same frame of mind as you. Can't get in the sewing room and do anything, just not motivated. I think when my son gets home from Iraq for good and he can settle down with his two kids, and I have my house to myself again (hopefully) then I can get some things done. Until then, I'm just taking it a day at a time and I think that's what you need to do. I have lots of projects in the making, but when it comes to getting down to the nitty-gritty and cutting, sewing, creating -- I just cannot get myself in that frame of mind. I know this will get better when I can settle my mind down. Soon, I hope.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

I think the answers are all right. You have too much on your plate, you are tired (mentally & physcially) and thoughts of the problems with your son, are all depleting the interest and engergy needed for hobbies. I am retired and my children are grown but still I always feel like I must get my other work done and whatever resolved b/4 I take time for my sewing.
Of course I don't know the answer for you but the person who said to just take a small amount of time each day to sew had a good idea. Maybe it would relax you and you could then sew a little longer each time.
Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM

I teach quilting classes and one "class" I offer is a Quilters Night Out or a Quilters Day In. Quilters just come and work on whatever project they want, get motivated by what other people are working on, get a little socialization with people intersted in same hobby and have help with a problem if needed. Many come because it's a "class" away from home distractions but they can work on what they want to not add to more projects needing to get done. Check to see if any local quilt shops, community ed or quilt guilds offer anything like that and see if it works for you.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I teach quilting classes and one "class" I offer is a Quilters Night Out or a Quilters Day In. Quilters just come and work on whatever project they want, get motivated by what other people are working on, get a little socialization with people intersted in same hobby and have help with a problem if needed. Many come because it's a "class" away from home distractions but they can work on what they want to not add to more projects needing to get done. Check to see if any local quilt shops, community ed or quilt guilds offer anything like that and see if it works for you.
Oh, I like that idea. I will check with my QS tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 PM

What fantastic advice! I really like the timer idea. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM

I like the timer idea too!