Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Not to worry.
In the morning, put a recipe into the crockpot, go off to work and while driving home, think of a nice quiet place you have been..perhaps the mountains, brook or stream you have walked by...autumn leaf changes you have seen...Let the family serve themselves from the crockpot dinner. Eat your dinner and let everyone know that you are going to sew. No interruptions, no discussion of family problems,....Close the door, turn on some music and work on one of your projects.
Make it a small one, the next one can be that big project.
Even if you just piece a stack of nine patch strips, or half square triangles, or cut out some appliques....Lastly, don't feel guilty for these stolen moments of "your" time. You cannot carry the burdens of the world and your family discussions can take place at a time that is best for you...preferably in the morning and not before you go to bed. Think of those special peaceful places as you go off to sleep. Then, perhaps you will not feel so tired in the morning. Can you tell "I have been there, done that"..We all have..you are not alone. Now go and plan Your Day and enjoy your time.
D in TX
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

First, don't listen to your mom!! You are not lazy!! You are overwhelmed. To much on your plate. Shut the sewing room door and don't even think about it. I have been there. NOt to your sewing room but there!! Walk away and don't worry about it. Don't listen to anyone (especially mom) and you will be fine.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 AM

I don't think you're lazy at all! I think you're tired and just need to "refresh". If you're wanting to make something, think small. Something you could finish in a day, such as a place mat, mug rug, pot holder.. just a little something. ((hugs))
Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 AM

more great suggestions!

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
I read through this whole thread and here's another suggestion: Find a friend to sew with. Make a date for perhaps once a month or whatever works. Then you will have to cut something out, or organize a project, and be ready for that date. Stop at Starbucks! on the way. or bring something to make it special and enjoy the time with your quilting friend in the QSS (quilting sweat shop!). You two will have a great time (wish you lived closer, then we could sweat together) Sometimes this is the only way I get quilting done.
Other great suggestions that I noticed where to set the timer for 15 minutes, take Vitamin D (really it helps), choose a small project or just choose a block you like and make one a day (I ended up with enough for 3 quilts that way) or make baby quilts for gifts or charity.
My stash keeps growing and so does my stack of magazines and books. I can always look at a book or mag when I don't feel like quilting! Then I sometimes tear out or copy plans for quilts I like and put them in page protectors and in a binder. You don't have to been quilting all the time to be a quilter!!! :)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 AM

I know how you feel. I don't think you have a problem. I work 40 to 50 hours a week. Plus the hour drive going to and home.
So I understand how you feel about getting into the sewing room and getting projects done. Like some others said here don't get so down on yourself. I just finished a quilt that I started 5 years ago. It is on my bed and I am so proud of it. Once it was done I felt so proud. So just work at your own pace enjoy it when you can. Don't be discourgage because things aren't going as fast as you would like. I have started another one and when I get time I will work on it and find some me time. :)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM

I am retired. I have no children or other problems that would prevent me from sewing but I still went through a period when I couldn't even start a project - much less finish one. I joined a Thursday night "Sew Late" group at a local quilt shop. For three+ hours every Thursday I sew with a group that has become very dear to me. Two of the women come directly from work. They give encouragement and ideas. They introduced me to other quilters. I have finished 5 quilts since January - an all-time record. I highly recommend time spent sewing with others as a way to get motivated and inspired.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM

There has been some great advice here and I hope you find it helpful. Quilting is meant to be fun so don't put yet another pressure on yourself to achieve. You're using this board and that is a good start and adds to the inspiration factor. When I'm having trouble getting going I will do somehting with squares and that's it. Just pretty squares. Nice and easy. Also I have read before that doing micro steps helps heaps. One evening put out your rotary cutter and mat ready with three fat quarters for the next day to cut a few squares. Don't commit to making a quilt, commit to selecting some fabric. Once you start small it will help. Do some other hand project, knitting etc to do a little and keep you feeling like you are achieving something crafty. Don't beat yoruself up. I like a quote tha says "We can have it all, but not all at once". You have time.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM

I've had that same dilemma. I'm also a 'fabricoholic' ... was buying way more fabric than I was quilting. Because my stash is so large, I put myself on a 'no buy' diet this year. Shhhh, I wasn't completely successful.

But for some reason about 2 months ago, I was eager to to finish up a quilt, that got me making a few new ones that I've been wanting to make for a long time. Then I was sewing and quilting more than I had in a number of years.

Maybe step back, relax, find one quilt pattern / block that excites you and start on it. You might find yourself caught up in the joy of completing a top.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM

I did little or no creative things while my daughter was at home. Now that she has her own life I sew and quilt all the time I'm not on the computer. Just enjoy the colors for now and don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM

Be kind to yourself. Your plate is full right now. I could not have even thought of quilting at your stage of life. I started when I was 69, no kids at home and a very forgiving husband. He doesn't mind eating in his recliner because the dining room table is full of quilt. Just enjoy reading and storing information in your head for another day. Do small things that you can see the end of quickly.