Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM

My F3 Snowball block.

I plan to use some red and green with the pinecones also.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48890[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48890.jpe  
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM

I can't wait to make one of each of these blocks. I just hope I can make them as well as all the ones I'vd seen on this site. You quilters are doing a beautiful job. You must LOVE what you do.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

the snowballs look awesome!!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Jan, your snowballs look wonderful!!!

I finished with the L-4 last night ALL 18 of them. I laid them out all pretty and to my HORROR...there are 2 of the original focus fabric ones that have red dye on the creme part! I have not gotten them wet (to my knowledge)...they have been sitting on the end of my ironing board and I pre-washed the fabric...so any ideas of what to do? I'm afraid that if 2 have done this, the other 9 of the same fabric will also... :evil: :cry:

I'm going to dig some scraps out of the garbage and run them under water to see what happens. I can't figure this one out :?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Very cool idea with the lazy susan, Klue! I might have to copy that!

Great blocks janstar!! I made that block to, wasn't it fun!!

Sandpat, that certainly stinks!! I wonder why it decided to run.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Banned

sandpat

thats just terrible. i find red and blue fabrics are the worst with running.

i go thru synthrapol and retayne like its water.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 AM

Klue should I use these products for the Gallery in Red and the indigo fabrics. Also if you have 15 yds of a fabric how do you wash that much fabric. Do you have to cut it up into smaller yardages? I've used the color sheets, does it work the same.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

i didn't have any problems with the gallery in red or the indigo - i just washed them like i would any type of clothing.

i wash my fabric whole - i don't cut it down to smaller pieces.

i put the 10-15 yards (whatever it is) into a pillowcase and knot the end. then i either wash it with the towels and sheets that i have to do that week or if i have so much fabric to wash i just wash all the fabric (sorting by colors/darks/lights/etc) with everything stuffed into various pillowcases.

then went its done in the dryer, i have DH help me fold it.

we lay the entire length of fabric out and we fold it in half and roll it back onto a cardboard bolt.

then i just cut off what i need, press it, and use it.

the synthrapol and retayne i use mostly with batiks, hand dyed, or other highly saturated/pigmented fabrics and i use it on the fabrics i have for my niece (i buy her cheaper walmart fabrics since she's just learning to sew).

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Thank you klue so very much. This pp is just backwards from what I have done and then the way they were lettered really threw me off.
A big hug for your help!

This tut will really help. Almost done with the first set and can go on to this block. Watch out folks - pp is very addicting. :D

I had some old transfer paper I used up for these. So much easier to tear the paper away/apart after stitching. Perforated beautifully and even better is it is see through. I also pulled out my light box that I use for other crafts and used it to help line up fabric easier without all the turning over and such.

I made 6 pp's with bright marble(?) tones in the Pineapple design on Friday. So much fun.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Jan, your snowballs look wonderful!!!

I finished with the L-4 last night ALL 18 of them. I laid them out all pretty and to my HORROR...there are 2 of the original focus fabric ones that have red dye on the creme part! I have not gotten them wet (to my knowledge)...they have been sitting on the end of my ironing board and I pre-washed the fabric...so any ideas of what to do? I'm afraid that if 2 have done this, the other 9 of the same fabric will also... :evil: :cry:

I'm going to dig some scraps out of the garbage and run them under water to see what happens. I can't figure this one out :?
Oooh nooo!! I am sorry!!! I wonder what happened to make it run like that. Maybe cause it was so red?? I've had blue and red homespun that I prewash then sewn and my fingers were blue and redish. I don't know if they just put so much dye in these or what. There is still a bit on the bed of my machine that you can see and I've cleaned it more than once.

I've got to say that everyone's blocks look so wonderful!! Ya'll have done such beautiful work! I can't wait to get one of them!!

After seeing kosmos applique', I wrote her and she gave me beautiful instructions on how she did hers.. so I'm redoing all my appliqued (e-10) cause I'm just not happy with them at all.

Here's one of them and I've only got 34 more to do! *L* but at least they'll now have a point to them instead of some rounded/squared/whatever tip.. Again, Thank you so much kosmos for your directions.. :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8580.jpe