How many have a garden?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM

When we bought our farm in Kansas we found a huge rock that had been used by indians to grind corn. There was a portion of the center of the rock that was ground all the way thru the rock, and we planted a hosta in it. Looked gorgeous.

Do any of you use your edible flowers much? I love to sugar violas (they look like china when done and will keep their color for at least a year-that's as long as I've been able to keep them and not use them).

I love to use my day lilies when I make chicken salad. I put a layer of greens on the plate, then two day lily blossoms on the greens, and mound the chicken salad inside them. And put a small bunch of grapes on the plate, and sometimes an orange slice just to look pretty. Once you convince people you can really eat flowers they love the idea. Whether people like it or not, it surely makes a pretty plate. I find most folks will eat the chicken salad and leave the blossom, but that's ok.

I also like nasturtiums petals in my salads. Kinda peppery.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM

I wish I could have a garden. The critters eat everything around here..I do have a huge wild rose bush. It blooms beautiful yellow roses in the spring... It comes back every year inspite of the harsh snow that covers it during the winter.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 AM

Love the pics. We post pics of our quilts, so why not our gardens and rocks and anything else we like doing?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

It's all about the variety. The seeds for last year's cabbage was called Show Off Hybrid that I purchased from RH Shumway. They made great sauerkraut.

One wagon load
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150968[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150963.jpe  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
It's all about the variety. The seeds for last year's cabbage was called Show Off Hybrid that I purchased from RH Shumway. They made great sauerkraut.
Oh My gosh! They're huge!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Naw! I still have snow! LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RevPam
Naw! I still have snow! LOL
LOL Well, yes, I still have snow now too!! At least a couple feet of it. I cheated and sent photos from last year and the year before. I still have the same plants, they just get a little bigger every year.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by swquinn
When we bought our farm in Kansas we found a huge rock that had been used by indians to grind corn. There was a portion of the center of the rock that was ground all the way thru the rock, and we planted a hosta in it. Looked gorgeous.

Do any of you use your edible flowers much? I love to sugar violas (they look like china when done and will keep their color for at least a year-that's as long as I've been able to keep them and not use them).

I love to use my day lilies when I make chicken salad. I put a layer of greens on the plate, then two day lily blossoms on the greens, and mound the chicken salad inside them. And put a small bunch of grapes on the plate, and sometimes an orange slice just to look pretty. Once you convince people you can really eat flowers they love the idea. Whether people like it or not, it surely makes a pretty plate. I find most folks will eat the chicken salad and leave the blossom, but that's ok.

I also like nasturtiums petals in my salads. Kinda peppery.
I've used the nasturtium petals, but didn't know about the day lilies! Gonna try that this summer. Can't wait to see my DH's face when he sits down to those big flowers on the plate :lol:
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
We had some cabbage get big like that last year, but they didn't have any flavor, in least in coleslaw. I don't remember the variety, but I think they needed to be picked when they were smaller. We gave one to a neighbor that weighed 25 pounds! After I made slaw with one, I was embarrassed because the slaw was so tasteless. I should have done the sauerkraut. h well, there's always another garden this year!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM

We have both a flower and veggie/herb garden I love it as I find it very peaceful, unless I'm weeding then my language gets colorful too. Our garden each year expands but I love being able to just go out and bring in tomatos, green onions, etc
This year I'm trying something different I'm starting my veggies/other plants by seed and I have 10 out of 14 pods that have already started sprouting. Right now I'll be happy when the snow goes away!