Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy? >

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 PM

It's so important to test the machines that others have recommended and then go with what feels right to you and with the machine that meets all of your needs. I would definitely do a check list of all options on a spreadsheet or piece of paper and then you'll be able to compare later. Make sure you don't buy one until you have tried all of those that you're able to access so you have no regrets later. When I went in search of a serger a few years ago I purposely left my credit card and checkbook at home. I really was sorry when I thought I'd found the best machine and almost kicked myself but then I tried a few more machines and was glad I didn't buy on impulse. Take your time and enjoy the process! Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 PM

I would save a little bit more money and get a Bernina. I have had a Bernina for 39 years. (different models) They are absolutely the best!! You have almost enough now for a 440, this is a great machine. It has the BSR (stitch regulated foot) that is absolutely fabulous for freemotion quilting. There are alot of machines out there, but I would not hesitate buying another Bernina. In fact I just did!! I got the 820. What a dream machine. But thats another story. Have fun hunting.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM

I know one dealer that sells Brother, Pfaff and Janome. The daughter that teaches the embroidery and quilting and just a know it all when it comes to sewing also knows all the ins and outs on how to use all three of these brands. She said she tried a Bernina and found it not to be as user friendly as the other makes.

My cousin in another town is friends with a church member who works part time in a LQS that also sells Brothers and Berninas. She owns the big Brother Quattro, said the Berninas are not as user friendly.

Know another owner of a LQS in a small town that does NOT sell machines. She made a trade with her sister; sister took her Bernina and she now has sis's Viking. I told her what two other dealers said about Berninas and she said she has heard the same thing from others that come in the store for classes, etc. She said if she did ever go into the selling of sewing machines she would do Viking and Pfaff.

So these are just some opinions from dealers and mentors that have used all of the above.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
My choice would be a Janome 7700. I think you can get them on sale pretty reasonable now. The 6600 is awesome, but it is a heavy machine with no free-arm. The 7700 is so far superior to the 6600 it's not even funny. I have the 11000SE too, however I find I don't even use the embroidery at all so the machine sits there while I pound away on my 7700.

Babylock is nice too, but you can save money by buying the Brother version of any of the Babylocks that have a sister made by Brother.

My Bernina 440QE is great but I do wish it had more space. The stitch regulator is O.K. but I don't think it's all it's advertised to be. Also have the 820 which I'm sorry I brought. It is VERY difficult to use and the instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired. VERY expensive and, IMO not worth it.
According to my local sewing machine shop, the Berninas are awesome machines, are outragious in price and are in the shop more than any other machine, but people like the name and when you mention the name Bernina, you get ooohs and aaahhs every time.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RuthV
Originally Posted by SueJ
I have been saving money like crazy so that I can buy a better machine. What would your advice be?
I was told by a local Bernina dealer that Sears Kenmores are made by Janome. You can get more machine for less money by going that route. Just doesn't have the fancy name and all the fancy extras like certain colors but does have the quality and all the important extras.
Kenmores made by Janome? I didn't know that. I had Kenmores for years and they were regular workhorses. Switched to Bernina essentially for the BSR.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM

I have 2 Vikings, a Featherweight, a Singer 15-91 and my favorites are my Babylock Quest Plus and an older Pfaff 1222e, because they both have the built in walking foot. I never have to fuss with the foot pressure, fabric thickness, etc. All the seams come out perfectly even and there are no tucks. All the feet on the Quest are snap on, so I don't have to change the shank.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM

I used my 2000 to buy a huskvarna mega quilter and frame, I wish I had saved more and waited because I would like a quilter and frame with a wider throat and a larger stitching area. My sister just got a huskvarna and it can do tons of things, she may bring it to my house so I might get to play a little with it. I saw a Janome that I really liked also for around that price.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Love my Bernina with the BSR Foot
Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM

I love my Pfaffs.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

[quote=bevster]I have Bernina 440QE - and the one thing I can't understand why Bernina calls it a QE Quilters Edition as it doesn't even have an automatic thread cutter. Also, the bed is very small to use when machine quilting your quilt.

I love my Bernina 440 QE especially now that they have a 1/4" foot with fabric guide on the side.....but ...I would never buy another expensive machine without the thread cutter. Wish mine had it.