Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I have been lurking this thread with anticipation to read how it went. Looking forward to the full report and hopefully you will be able to share pictures.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Finally...and I'm for real y'all! Six women and an interpreter are coming to quilt on Sunday. We got the clearance, supplies and space set aside. Wish me luck...Again!
Luck, luck, luck, luck again and again and again!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
lol. I work for a news and television agency and they are doing a story so trust me when I tell you that you will get all the details.
That's fantastic! Can't wait!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Looking forward to hear how it went, especially after what has happened.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 AM

Drum roll please!!!! They came and they will be back next week and hopefully every week after for as long as I am here. Let's see....we had Cobra, Soriya, Mariam, Zareema, Kneckbach?, Storai and two more. They were wonderful. During the meet and greet I took your advice and went very slow. Cobra is the comedienne and she taught all of the other women the word YES and told them that if anyone said anything to them just say YES!....and they did until I found out what was up. lol. We talked about family. One has 4 kids, one has 8, one has 3 kids and one has none.

They all had different projects in progress so we broke the ice with those. I showed and worked on my grandmother's flower garden, Cobra was making a dress so I let her use my machine and ironing board, two were embroidery queens and they had some of the most gorgeous silk threads I have EVER seen. This thread is amazing. I will take picture of just that and show you. Two worked on crochet with my co-worker and one was hand sewing a design on something for a Soldier that commissioned her to make something with embriodery and beads. Cobra is a business women that has a cafe in the Afghan Women's Garden. It is a compund that the U.S. built for women ONLY a few years ago and it has its own beuaty shop, gym, restuarants and cafes and only women can get in the place. There are guards at the gate. Cobra is going to host us for lunch there and we are paying for an Afghan cooking class all possible if the U.S lets us.

The Afghan word for quilt is "compile" and Cobra brought a book with some gorgeous ones. You would not believe the quilts they are making over here. The Hezara people are a minority group known for there fabric art. I brought a gorgeous quilt made by them. I will take pictures of the ones they sell at the bazaar for you all to see. My co-workers did a story on me and the women so I will provide the link for that as soon as it is finished so stay tuned. Also, my boss took pictures galore and I will have those available as soon as he gets them OK'd for release. For those of you that don't know...I work for the largest news agency in the world called the Defense Media Activity (DMA) and the women were so happy to get thier pictures taken.

I developed a very quick and special bond with Cobra. We are now sisters forever. It was so funny because we did not understand anything each other was saying but we understood sewing, knitting and crochet very well. They do the same thing swe do. The exact same. The terms were different but when we got down to business and started doing our thang it was magic. My co-worker taught the women beside her how to do granny squares and the woman had it on the first try. She had been crochtteing all her life. The two little miss embroidery queens helped me finish a pile of flowers gor my garden with no problem or explanation. Cobra hopped on my brand new Singer and never looked back. Come to find out she used to repair U.S. military uniforms using a machine very similar to the one I had.

Everyone is married and all of our husbands have the same issues. All of our husbands are also wonderful. All in all it was a great day and we can't wait until next Sunday when they come back. I believe I met lifelong friends. ~Erika.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:11 AM

Sounds like a good time. Congrats on making it happen. I guess women are the same worldwide.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Oh Erika, This brings tears to my eyes. So glad it finally happened and the rest is all bonus. You must be on Cloud 9. Will be eagerly awaiting pictures. YOU ROCK!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey
Oh Erika, This brings tears to my eyes. So glad it finally happened and the rest is all bonus. You must be on Cloud 9. Will be eagerly awaiting pictures. YOU ROCK!!!!
Thanks Stacey. I am on cloud 9. It took over 5 months for this day to happen. I even got the go ahead to continue. I am a tired happy so I am going to bed. God Bless.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 AM

So happy to hear that you were able to meet. What an opportunity for all of you!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM

So happy things are great !! :-D :thumbup:
Will be watching for pictures & links !! :-D :thumbup: