Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine? >

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM

By the time I came around, the treadle was gone and Mama had an electic one. But I remember that bobbin. It looked like a missle with a long spool inside.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Grandma's.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM

I first used a treadle machine in 7th grade. In Home Ec we made a blouse and I wanted to make more at home. My mother didn't sew but we had my grandmother's old treadle machine. I made a couple of items and after that nothing could stop me. My parents were amazed that I could sew. After I got my first job when I was a Junior in High School I bought my first electric portable. My father said, "You mean you used all your savings for a sewing machine!!"
Later, I made clothes for myself and two daughters and even made some shirts and a sport coat for my husband after he got out of service and returned to college. Don't sew much anymore, mostly quits for charity made on my Bernina. [email protected]
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Yep! Up in our haymow was an old treadle and I was fascinated with it. My mom scrambled up into the haymow one cool summer morning and cleaned and oiled that machine and it ran like a dream. It had the old long bobbin. I sweated and sewed doll clothes, and just played with it for a whole summer. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

It was the second machine I learned to sew on when I was ten. My mom use her home electric a lot to sew for us seven kids, and hated it when we changed tension or stich length. The machine was her mothers. My mom set me up in a corner and my dolls had more clothes and blankets than my family.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Mom taught me on a treadle. I guess that makes me older than dirt! My sister actually still has that sewing machine.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM

Didn't learn on one, mum had an electric, but when I married I was given first an old Werthiem that you had to turn the wheel by hand, then a Singer treadle which I used for several years as we lived way out in the country and only had generated 32volt power. My dad put an electric motor on the treadle when we finally lived in town and had town power. I loved both the Werthiem and the treadle and wish I still had them.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
By the time I came around, the treadle was gone and Mama had an electic one. But I remember that bobbin. It looked like a missle with a long spool inside.
Hey #1 Piecemaker, my mom's Blue Grass had one of those long bobbins and a shuttle. Didn't have a round bobbin until the Singer 301.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 AM

I learned to sew on my grandma's Singer Treadle machine when I was 9 years old. I darn near ran over my finger a few times.

Sweet Memories,

Mary
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 AM

I did. I lived with my grandparents from the time I was 8 until I graduated from high school. She had a beautiful treadle; I started sewing at 12 from a required Home Ec class when I was in 7th grade. That lit a fire in me. I made all my own clothes through high school on that treadle machine. When I got married one year out of high school (toooo young), I purchased my first electric machine. Then I also sewed for my children, even made a suit for the hubby. Now I only quilt and on occasion make some purses. No more fashion sewing, as I am now addicted to quilting.