Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM

The only quilts I have that I don't use are three that my grandmother made - two are my baby blankets and they're made of very thin cotton and are simply too fragile for any sort of use. The third is a much heartier quilt that belonged to my late uncle; he actually took this quilt with him to Viet Nam when he was drafted into the Army, and it has been repaired several times over the years (by my grandma) but it is also currently damaged and needs repair. I love the history of that last quilt the best, each patch tells part of a story. Some day I will repair it again (adding yet another layer of history and making it useable again) and give it to my nephew (who is named after my uncle) and tell him the quilt's story.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I do think that newly made quilts fall into two categories -

Those that are meant to be used -
And those that are made to be art or heirloom quilts.

Then there are the ones with sentimental value - which can fall into either category.

I do think there comes a time when a quilt becomes very worn, very tattered, very faded - when it is time to say 'goodbye' to it. (Sort of like helping a pet over the Rainbow Bridge when it's time) I'm not quite sure when 'that time' is - -
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM

I use my quilts on the beds and on the walls. I love to have them used. Most times, our friends and family are kind to the quilts knowing that they were hand made by me. I love the feel of a warm worn quilt.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I agree with carslo - what are they for if not to use!
Exactly - By all means use those beauties. Don't be like people who save special dishes for company and they never have any company- so these dishes just gather dust, or special lingerie and never use them. I personally use my things, and enjoy them. That's why I have made the quilts I have. My brother ask me to make him a buffalo quilt, so I did and gave it to him for Christmas in 2011. He told me later he wanted me to make him another quilt, I ask why, "was there a problem with the buffalo quilt, " "No" he said, "but I want one I can use, and that one is for display" silly brother, I told him that quilt was made to use. I informed him he was on the waiting list for another one, and currently at the bottom of the list, since he has one I made, and I have others I wanted to make for.
We can't take things with us when we leave this world, so why not enjoy them now, some family members may not appreciate them or want them, or heaven forbid they have rotted in storage. By all means USE them, or give them to someone who will.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM

Use them, they will make you happy, after all isn't the the reason for making them
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM

I used to worry more about them but now I use them and I really hope everyone I give one to, uses theirs as well. That is what they are for - to be used and enjoyed. There is no point making them if they are stored away. Pull them out and enjoy them! Others will enjoy seeing your work as well. Maybe put a smaller one on the back of your couch.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 AM

YES, use them. I have quilts on my beds and on tables, end tables, couch, shower curtains etc. I loved them when I made them and love them more because I see them all every day.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM

When we make lap quilts for the senior center, we wash before presenting them to be sure they will stand up. DDIL washes quilts when she gets them...makes them softer to the touch. DGD gave me a quilt as a Christmas present (Her first quilt) and I use it all the time thinking of her as I stay cozy. Pictures are a good way to keep them perfect. Make a nice large image, frame it and keep it as a memory. Of course, there are quilts one may want to keep from hard usage and if it bothers you to use it so, display it for others to see as you would good art.It is your quilt and you get to call the shots on it. Forgive me for saying give it away as that was insensitive.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM

I so agree that quilts are made to be used!!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

My quilt hangs on the back of the couch. It has survived 5 cats and a boat load of washes. It is finally at the point of getting threadbare and the binding is starting to fray. So I will make me a new quilt to love and wash and put under the cat. My DH's quilt is folded on his couch and he uses it regularly. I would be sad if my quilts didn't get used. That is what they were made for - they are not objects d'art. Those would hang on the wall.