Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM

I was supposed to get 50% on an item and they didn't even take it off. I am through with them. If they go under, it will be a good thing. They deserve it!

I just got coupons from Fabric Depot in Portland (I live in Eugene-2 hours away) and they say on their coupon that you get 40% off on one item. If the item is already on sale, it will be changed to 40% off. I think that is fair, fair, fair! I have never understood JoAnn's policy of not giving you credit for a coupon if the item is on sale. That's just ONE of the things I don't like about them!

Vent all you want. I agree and vent too! It is exasperating! If they didn't use the coupons, they wouldn't get many customers, I guess. They just need to have a policy of utilizing the coupons as the customer wishes. They are another company that has forgotten that the customer is important.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 AM

JS, Could not be said any better!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
JS

Thank you Daisygirl
Jean
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I must say that Joann's used to up the discount to 40% if their sale was less. They just dont' do it anymore.
i find that Hobby lobby does the same as JoAnn's in putting their fabric on sale for 30% off when they also issue 40% off coupons. yes, it's irritating but it is their way of doing business.
sad but true.
also will say that one day i was at Joanns' looking for their cotton lame' fabric and the clerk didn't know where it was. I found it and went back and told her where it was, so she could help the next person who might ask for it. they are most likely underpaid and over worked. and told to by skimpy when cutting. that used to be different. just a sign of the times.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
I don't even want to get into the middle of the JF debate. However, I would like to ask all of you to make sure that the management hears about the employees that do have a good attitude and are more than willing to help you. Having worked in retail, I know that lots of people don't hesitate to air their complaints but never speak up when the clerks have gone beyond the call of duty. It's not always an easy job and it's nice to get positive feedback once in a while.
Good point bodie358... That is one thing I have always done, is to make sure to give a good comment or write out a thank you slip to the people who have a good attitude during my interactions at stores or restaurants. And I don't hesitate to say something if there is something wrong. This way management can fix the problem and also it helps the employee to know what is expected of them. I also worked with the public and it surely can be difficult at times...but if you keep up being pleasant it sure makes a world of difference at the end of the day, not only to you but to the customer. Life is short make the most of it!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
I, too, run hot and cold with JoAnn's. Sometimes I'm able to get good fabric at good prices, especially their newer "premium" fabrics (Stonehill, Legacy Studio). They've gotten smart in that when they have 50% coupons, they put their magazines on sale for 10% off, so that you can no longer purchase a magazine with a coupon. Some of the employees are friendly and helpful. Others are just there for a paycheck. What frustrates me is that, although I FINALLY got on the email mailing list, I don't get the emailed coupons on a regular basis. What's up with that ?
It's been explained to me (at Joann's) that if you go for a month or so without purchasing anything there, you get dropped from their mailing list. BUT, here's the other thing, if you or the clerk, don't remember to scan the barcode on the coupon brochure you, hopefully, brought into the store with you, it's the same as if you had not shopped. Your name isn't noted in their computer listing for mailers. This used to happen to me a lot. Then someone there explained it to me. If you've been dropped, you have to fill out another form to get started again. The answer to that problem is simple. Never, NEVER, go to Joann's without the brochure they mailed you, or you will not get another one mailed to you. Sigh ... there are so many little tricks to learn about Joann's. I've been shopping there for so long, I feel as though I've earned my master's degree in Joannology.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM

I feel the same way. I often go hoping to get what's in the ad, but usually it's not what 's pictured or not in stock. I used to work for JoAnn as a manager. Once upon a time, when the Rosskam family owned the chain, it was a FABRIC store. Now it is run by RETAILERS. The difference? Retailers will sell anything to make $$$, and cut corners any way they can to increase the bottom line. Thus, too much non-sewing merchandise, poorly trained help ( my new-hires got 4 HOURS training- including register) and bad fabric selection
Management grinds down store level employees by unreasonable workloads and poor motivation.( they use the stick far more the carrot!)

Just a little insight from my personal experience.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM

:D JS - You are of course correct. There should be people there who know a little something about the product they are selling. Did not mean to insinuate otherwise! I worked as bookkeeper for Michaels for awhile - and was APPALLED when they asked me to work for floor "just ofr an hour or two". However, MANY of my fellow employees were knowledgeable about the crafts etc that I had no clue about. A lot of times the big stores just need warm bodies on the floor - especially during busy times.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:51 PM

I agree. Good employees are expected and get little credit for doing a good job.
Originally Posted by bodie358
I don't even want to get into the middle of the JF debate. However, I would like to ask all of you to make sure that the management hears about the employees that do have a good attitude and are more than willing to help you. Having worked in retail, I know that lots of people don't hesitate to air their complaints but never speak up when the clerks have gone beyond the call of duty. It's not always an easy job and it's nice to get positive feedback once in a while.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

JoAnn's must like me, i hadn't been there in awhile. i went recently and looked in my coupon folder and had some from November and December and up. they keep sending me some anyway.
(knowing the stock-my hubby went into a hardware store looking for sponges. the girl clerk said "they don't make those anymore". Sea sponges aren't made anymore??sigh. )