Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Dee

Thats wonderful.Happy sewing!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 AM

I love that idea! Go for it!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head.
What if you bought some casters/wheels from the hardware store and attached them to a piece of plywood. Then you can stack your things on it and roll the whole works in to the cubby.

piney
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt........Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.
I had a piece of plexiglass cut to 9"x14" (under $3 at the time and a good holiday gift for my quilting pals). After folding the fabric as suggested above, I use the plexi to roll it on, then take out the plexi. I can get a guestimate of my yardage by the number of wraps. 9" = 1/4 yard plus it fits on my book shelves nicely.

piney
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM

That's a good idea. Everyone is so smart...and then you're thoughtful enough to share it with the rest of us.

Originally Posted by pinecone
Originally Posted by Caroltee
Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt........Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.
I had a piece of plexiglass cut to 9"x14" (under $3 at the time and a good holiday gift for my quilting pals). After folding the fabric as suggested above, I use the plexi to roll it on, then take out the plexi. I can get a guestimate of my yardage by the number of wraps. 9" = 1/4 yard plus it fits on my book shelves nicely.

piney
:thumbup:
Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM

I would like to organize my sewing room also, but I have one problem, I need a room stretcher first..
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Super idea! Thanks for taking the bull by the horns!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:12 PM

I think your idea is great! I think a new section is called for so we will know where to go to get the tips!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head.
What if you bought some casters/wheels from the hardware store and attached them to a piece of plywood. Then you can stack your things on it and roll the whole works in to the cubby.

piney
Or if you could get your hands on a mechanic's "crawler"...and use it as a dolly in the same way. I just saw a crawler at a yard sale yesterday...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by yuvonnet
I would like to organize my sewing room also, but I have one problem, I need a room stretcher first..
If you find a room stretcher let us all know.