Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I believe that those who post on the QB have given their best. I'm proud for them that they are doing what they love. If they ask how it could be better then offer suggestions otherwise I give them encouragement. It took me a while to realize that I don't have to comment at all. It is better praise or say nothing than point out errors. Just my opinion:) Happy Quilting:thumbup:
I agree we are not here to critisize but encourage. Nothing said is better than that. Only those who ask for pointers should be given said advise. I felt great when I first started and it made me push on.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM

I thought about this one for a while...as a relative newbie quilter(or rather piecer) I think this is really kind of mean. This is exactly why I won't post any pictures. I think I come here for inspiration, and God knows I have found it. I want to thank you for all the positive things you have said about everyones projects, but I think we know what the flaws are. We come here for someone to tell us we will get better. I remember the best teachers I ever had were the ones who were supportive not just critical. I am sorry but I think we should support one another because there are enough people in the world to tear you apart. Just my opinion and it probably doesn't count for much but I feel better speaking my piece!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I read the quilt police thread and some of the comments made me think about the issue of giving false praise.

When someone has made a quilt that is poorly put together or there isn't enough contrast with colour choices, or it just plain doesn't look right, are we being fair by complimenting them?

I don't believe in embarrassing a person by pointing out mistakes or telling them that they have to do it the "right" way. I don't believe in telling someone their work is lovely when it isn't. Being positive and encouraging is essential, but damning with faint praise is harmful.

Where is the line between trying to help someone improve their skills and being the dreaded hated quilt police?
If I see its a new quilter that has posted her work .
I will tell her or him in a private message what they might have done wrong.
When I grew african violet for judged shows. We always looked for beauty and not flaws.
If the person that grew the violet isn't told what was wrong how do you expect them to enter a winning plant the next time.
Quilting or peiceing is the same.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Really enjoyed reading this thread---some very thought provoking statements made. This OB is the best!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Have read thru this, and this is a group who recognize there are opinions... sometimes I will ask for them, and have gotten good feedback, may not always follow it, but it does open up other ways to look at things. With Quilting as w/life so many choices and ways to look at things, not here to say whats right or wrong. Never know what a situation is 100%, why knock someone down then have put time and effort into a Pretty !! But then to me all are Pretty, may not be a way I would have done it, but why would I tell them it is wrong. Too many levels here, some self taught, others w/classes.
Are blessed to have the love of a craft that has no real boundries, and enjoy hangin out with others with the same views, all million of them !! :)
Have been fortunate to know a couple of Quilters that worked in different ways, one arthritis so bad she could hardly walk, the seams hardly ever matched, the other liked to make tops, scrappy all the way, would send them out to be finished. Can tell you both were Beautiful, Warm, and Cherished to this day.
Don't take no comment as bad, keep sharing, be boring around here if just words... LOL
Happy Quilting All !!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM

I think the difference is when someone is asking for helpful crititism, and when somone just want to get praise for completing something that looks wonderful to them.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Maybe because I have been an artist since I was 2 yrs. old, and was thusly educated, I have been around criticism for over 50 years. I have learned no one is perfect, and unless someone ask for help and direction, it's better to not point out what you feel is something negative. There is a saying I use when people complain about what they think I should do with my projects. It's 'they are teaching traditions of man as gods law. The same can be said about those who consider themselves quilt police. Fabric artist (quilting) will always have a freedom of choice. What someone might consider a mistake, will make a quilt a one of a kind item.
I folded a row in my daughter's quilt because it was to long, and with velcro added she has a hidden pocket, in which to hide things from her growing children. It's an original one of a kind quilt of which I am very proud. Quilting a part of art is subjective. Always encourage some one to try their best, never compare them to anyone.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 AM

I believe everyone does something well. If I look, I can find something to enjoy in anyone's art. I look for that thing and comment on it. I will not give false praise, but I will give sincere encouragement. I hope everyone would do the same for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM

Each of us is at a different place in our quilting journey. I think anyone needs encouragement. They can probably see the wrong things about their own quit sooner than we can. But if they are ASKING for constructive advice, I will certainly give that too. Otherwise, I figure if I encourage them, they will keep trying, and "practice makes perfect!" If someone had not encouraged me when I made my first few quilts, I might not be still quilting today. I hated my first quilt when I got it finished, and I don't even know what happened to it. But that was 40 years ago and I'm still quilting!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I agree to a point, when I post something and ask for comments, I truely want honest opinions which includes constructive criticizm. Some advice I'll take, some I'll ignore - according to my desires and beliefs - but all constructive criticizm is appreciated even if not used.

A member (an experiencd quilter) posted several blocks the other day, the blocks had yet been joined together. She was looking for comments on the best layout. While she didn't specifically ask for constructive criticizm of the individual blocks *I* had noticed that some of the pieces in one block were flipped. Had it been my block I would have appreciated it being pointed out because that juncture it was easy to fix - so I did point it out to her, as did one or two other members. These things (brain fart mistakes) I think are appreciated when pointed out even if unsolicited. I would not however point out the same error on a quilt that was already quilted - why raise the dead?

I'm a new quilter and I realize I have tons to learn. I've been putting together heart blocks for a large throw for myself. I'm very hesitant to post pics because even though I'm pleased with how they are turning out I know that they are not very good. I am learning as I go and I've learned so much from this board. I know that future projects will get easier as my skills progress. Constructive criticsm is still criticsm.
When I see a pic of a first quilt or block by a new quilter, and their post starts with something like 'yippee - look what I did!' ... the block could be totally wonky but I wouldn't dare say a word. At that point of "oh my God I actually sewed a bunch of pieces together" - let them have that glory. I would prefer to see them retain that excitement and passion over the possibility of dashing it by saying it isn't right (which may make them think quilting is just too hard!). If they decide they love quilting they'll be seeing more quilts, the more they see the more they'll see the differences, and hopefully the more they will learn.