Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
dsj

Thanks Fox, It will definitely be a lesson for me, I know I will have fun. Here is the funny part, my husband asked his friend what his mil's name is, his friend went silent for a few seconds and said, Natasha's mom. We don't know if he can't pronounce it or if he doesn't know it. It was pretty funny. So I just know her too as Natasha's mom.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
dsj

It will be fun I'm sure, our plans were cancelled but have rescheduled for this coming weekend. I will share some Russian with you when I learn a few words. I will keep you posted on our lessons my Russian and her quilting.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by maggiesquilt
"Cozy Quilter" what a great name. I was taught by my quilting teacher to be anal. Guess, what I'm not, I enjoy every stitch and if there is an imperfection I'm the only one that knows where it is. I make my quilts with love and give them away to those I love. :thumbup:
I agree with you totally
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Needles in SW OR
To DSJ from Tennessee:
I agree that we should not be so hard on ourselves.
I have a quilting acquaintance that critiques everything to the last stitch. It hurt my feelings for a while and then I realized that I have known her as part of our quilt group for over 3 years and she has never finished a single project because she is so picky.
Now, my standard reply is, "I love it the way it is and wouldn't change a stitch."
I feel good about what I do and especially when it is completed, however close to 'perfect' it is or isn't.
Keep on sewing girl, I know you are doing a great job!
I think that's a great reply. Over time maybe this poor tortured quilter can learn from you to let up on herself...and others:thumbup:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramqlts
I always put on the attached note or card to receiver....Made with love, prayers and a few imperfections. I'd say I was a cozy quilter too. I expect my quilts to be used in every day life...not put up for viewing in a museum.
oh, gramqults I love this. I think I am going to add a little card like that too. It might let the receiver know...I prayed, I sweated and i enjoyed the process of doing this (tedious thing) for you!:-D
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fox
My critic was my mother. I saw some pieced quilts hanging on a clothes line on a drive when I was a child, that I thought were beautiful. My mother's reaction to them was a demeaning "those poor people, they have to live that way". She was born at the turn of the century to a very poor family, and hated anything that reminded her of Depressions, Wars, rationing etc.. I taught myself to quilt when I was in my forties, and had a quilt I'd designed hanging in my bedroom. On a visit she looked at it without saying a word, then turned in disgust saying I'd "cut off the points" on the border. Enough said. She never mentioned it again, and it took me ten years to get back to quilting. Of course she's dead now...but I can imagine her shaking her head in wonder how I could waste my time doing something so beneath her standards. I like it.

And I LOVE the COZINESS of it!!
Fox, I just want to applaud and commend you for listening to your own heart.
Think of all that you would have missed.
The bottom line is, as much as we love our parents and other family, if we live the way they think "we should"...who gets to be us?:-D
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I don't do "perfect", that way there is always something for me to strive for. If every quilt I made was perfect, I wouldn't have any reason to keep quilting. :)

Every quilt is a learning experience, I will be truly sad when the day comes that I don't learn something when making a quilt.
IMHO, Shadow, we quilters have vast interests and imaginations.
If I were to ever achieve 'perfection', I think I would become so bored, my joy would dry up.
Like you, I want to keep exploring and being delighted and intrigued to the last quilt!:-D
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Riversong
I strive to be as "perfect" as I can if it's for someone else.For personal use,I am more relaxed ...
i think we all do the best we can in hope of achieving the human equivalent of perfection. the questions are:

1. what's our personal gabooble point? how much imperfection can we tolerate in our own work before the stitch-picker (aka seam ripper) comes out?

2. how many attempts will we make to fix something before we accept it as it is? (i employ the 3-strikes method. if it's still not right enough after 3 tries, i either use it the way it is or toss it into the trash.)

3. how hard do we kick ourselves for making mistakes in the first place? how big a mistake rates a kick?

my answers to those questions change from quilt to quilt. they also depend a great deal on my mood at the time.

my heartfelt wish for all quilters - especially those just starting out - is that as our skills improve and the gafarble rate goes down, our acceptance of our humanity and imperfection also goes up. happiness waits for us at the intersection of those two lines. ;-)
doggone Patrice...good points, but this last part is so touching, it is downright eloquent. How lovely!
I might have to put that up in my sew-cave...but where?:lol:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
I lived in Germany 4 yrs in 1970's & know the thrill of learning to figure out how much meat or cheese I wanted the butcher or his wife to cut me so I didn't look like a blundering idiot. They were used to Americans, so knew some English, which made it easier to converse.
My Mom worked in a bakery that had many American customers. One soldier pointed to the puff pastry and asked what it was. She translated perfectly: Air Bags. We still laugh about the cream-filled air bags.

But back on topic. I am struggeling with the quilting of a quilt right now. I wanted to do something special and my skills in that arena aren't special. SO I tried to do a fancy stitch in the ditch. It turned out JUST AWFUL. I had also never taken out quilting stitches before. - rule #1 go very very slowly.

Once I took out the bad stitching, I accepted the fact that I am a SID girl (or a MAD girl = meandering around ditch). The quilt may not be perfect and it may not be as special as I would like. But it is made from the heart and hope it will bring the recipient joy.
clap, clap, clap, clap...you go (((Mad)))!
I contributed to that quilt and no perfection there, BUT, I have seen it as you go along, and it's lovely.
You picked an awesome border that makes the blocks sing, and this little girl has been through so much, she has an imperfect body. (don't we all)
I know in my heart she has an appreciation for things done with heart. There is sooo much of that in it, she is going to love it.:-D
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Nice, Patrice J. :-D