Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Fox: I totally understand where you're coming from-not quilting for a while after your mom's comments. My sister is a professor at a major university and has exhibited her art work and sold it from galleries all over the world. (To make it worse-she's my YOUNGER sister). The first quilt I made was a two color Irish Chain. Her comment was something about "splashing some color on it- expand your vision". I do value her opinion but wow! that stopped me from doing any quilting for awhile, too.
Now I realize we're two different people with two different talents and each need to do our "own thing"
I still don't feel comfortable showing my work to too many people. Just give things to non-quilting friends.
I also think this is why I hold myself to such high, unattainable standards. I definitely (sp) need to find my inner "cozy" quilter.
Thanks everyone-sorry for the long post.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 AM

Our Pastor is always saying "We are not perfect, but progressing." I am a cozy quilter and hope that each one is a little better than the last.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 AM

I have learned over time that too much perfectionism leads to lots of unfinished projects and frustration. So my battle becomes one within myself to accept the imperfections in my creations and value the effort and experience of producing it.

My last lesson:

I've only machine quilted two quilts on my regular-sized sewing machine. When I was literally in the middle of DH's log cabin Christmas present quilt putting in the first few rows of diagonal quilting lines, I almost gave up because the lines were so crooked. Then I ripped them out and started over with a different, more blendy thread color. I forced myself not to examine the results until I got about 20 rows done. It was amazing how bobbles kind of disappeared in the mass of lines. It will win no quilt awards, but it looks very nice draped over the back of DH's recliner in his study. I'm very glad I stuck with it and finished. (Panic over finishing it for Christmas helped, too!)
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
dsj

That is really sweet, and to be honest my favorite quilts are the scrappy ones anyway and I never see one thing wrong with those. I have a friends mom coming over today to learn how to quilt. She is from Russia and does not speak English. That is going to be quite a challenge to both of us. I am starting with a scrappy quilt just so she gets the idea of piecing and I don't have to go into a lot of detail about the perfect seams. Wish me luck and her too!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Fox

Good luck dsj, how wonderful that you're doing this!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM

dsj, I'm so thrilled you are doing this for your friend's Mom & if one quilter took time to teach just one other person to quilt, then "Quilting per se" would not be called a "dying art form." Use a lot of hand signs, smiles, claps & jumping up & down when your friend's Mom does even one thing that goes together even half way correctly for encouragement. I'd suggest getting a chalk board to draw off what you're trying to convey. Then, dig into some of your old quilts or UFO's (if you have any you haven't tossed) & have your friend explain to her that you too did not start off perfect in your quilting & that you're still a work in progress. This will be such an encouragement to you to see how she progresses. Ask your friend to tell you the Russian words for a few expressions in Russian so if she leaves the two of you alone that you will be able to converse a bit. Please post & let us know how she & you are progressing. Does the Mother know any English at all?

I lived in Germany 4 yrs in 1970's & know the thrill of learning to figure out how much meat or cheese I wanted the butcher or his wife to cut me so I didn't look like a blundering idiot. They were used to Americans, so knew some English, which made it easier to converse.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

I strive to be as "perfect" as I can if it's for someone else.For personal use,I am more relaxed ...
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I would like to say I'm a cozy quilter, it sounds so wonderful! But, I am more of a perfectionist than that. Now..that certainly not to say I am perfect...NOT by far!!! But...I'm not as comfortable as I should be letting things slide. Its something I am trying to work on.....loosen up when it just really doesn't matter to anyone but me. :roll:
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Catlady
Originally Posted by gramqlts
Catlady- my mom made me an aphgan years ago. I loved it so much and was so thrilled that I was afraid to use it cause it would get messed up....so I put it in a bag and kept it in the closet to "preserve" it. My aunt came to visit months later and when I was showing it to her she said "Oh, it is so nice of you to save it so your husband's next wife will have something new and beautiful to use." I have never put anything up again....I use them to death...lol. Needless to say that husband was used up and is gone also...smile.
When I was much much younger I did the same thing with gifts
given to me, didn't want them messed up. Now that I'm
"older and maybe wiser" I use them to pieces. I put them out
where I can see them and use them. Especially the things my
mom made me. Now that she has passed away those things
are really special to me, feels a little like she's here with me.
This works in reverse, too. Nearly 30 years ago, my sisters and I made a quilt for our parents that had blocks with memories of their 40 years together. Mom liked it, and wanted to preserve it... Just last week, I was talking to her. She has been ill, and confined to home. As we chatted, she mentioned the quilt we had made. Then she said, "I finally took it out of the closet and have it on the couch. It has kept me warm while I have been recuperating. I decided I should enjoy it while I can."

How wonderful it felt to know she is using our gift!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I believe if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well. If you apply this to your hobby, you cannot go wrong and whatever you accomplish will be worthwhile. Only God is perfect, so if I do my best that is good enough. I learn something new with each quilt or project, whether it be from a mistake or trying out a new technique. It may not be "good enough" but at least I tried.
What a great post!
I do quilting because I enjoy it and it is fun. The day it becomes a hassle will be the day I stop. I agree with nantucketsue's approach.
As someone new to quilting it has been so good and encouraging to read all your comments. Thanks.