Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what are your personal quality standards? >
  • what are your personal quality standards?

• what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM

My standard is actually "finished!" and trying to improve on each quilt. :)
    Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 PM

I like to think I do my best. I have seen great improvement in my piecing ability and I will rip things out if I think I can do it better. But a quilt is much more than perfect piecing. I don't own a long arm and my freemotion stitching skill does not match my piecing skill. I have had positive and negative experiences with professional long arm quilters. Right now I enjoy the design and piecing challenges and quilting will vary as to the value I see in the piece. Hopefully someday, I will get to a point where my quilting matches my piecing.
    Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 AM

i'm a cozy quilter. but my family thinks they are perfect. little do they know. i back stitch, so dble thread. a seam or point might be off or lost occasionally. but from 2 feet away they look good enough. i could never enter any of my quilts in a quilt show, or get a blue or red ribbon at the county fair. by goal is to use up my stash before someone inherits it. and sometimes i purposely leave a "modesty" block. but i fix it if i can.
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 AM

I'm one of those "perfect quilters" and let me tell you, I am just about ready to throw this whole obsession out the window. I see every flaw, no matter how small. But reading what you all have said. Hmmm. I'm not out to win a ribbon. My standards are set by me, so I can change them. I really need to thank all of you. I want to put the fun back into quilting, and I'm starting today. It'll take some time, but I'm hiding my seam ripper. And taking off my glasses. Maybe that way I can relax and just create.
    I have one top waiting for me to finish. It's been draped over the frame for almost two years. I tried applique using steam a seam and some of the edges frayed when I blanket stitched them. So why finish? Why? Because it's one of the prettiest top I ever made. My own pattern. Will I finish it now? More likely than before reading what you've all said. I hope so. I'd love to see it on the wall someday. I'll stop rambling now.
    Cozy quilter, yeah, I like that.
    bev. :]
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 AM

I think most of us are cozy quilters. One of the charter members of my quilt guild told me that when hand quilting as long as the stitches are not "toe catchers" you are doing great. I chuckled at that and have always remembered it.
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM

I love this thread! When I first posted I made the statement that I still considered myself a novice....I guess what I really meant is I'm a cozy quilter! I try new things, try to do straight seams, try to match up corners but what matters most is that it makes me happy. So what if there is a mismatched square or some wrinkles in the backing (don't you hate when that happens?)
    My recipients love them and they too are happy. Its a win win.. No show quilts here.
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 AM

I too am a "cozy quilter" I try very hard to get those points to line up but sometimes they just don't. It's ok the person that gets the quilt is going to love it anyway.

Vicky
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 AM

The Amish, who are WONDERFUL quilt makers have a saying......."Only GOD is perfect." - So go do the best you can, do not fret over perfection, and ENJOY creating your quilts!
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 AM
    Banned

Hell if I can get one together and it stays that way its good enough for me!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I am digging the term "Cozy Quilter" and that would fit me to a tee. Even though I am a perfectionist by nature I know that I am still learning and I understand that I make allowances for my "I'll be damned" moments.

But I am improving with every quilt I do and I think with me using a treadle all of the time (even for FMQ) it is helping my skills even more.

Billy
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 AM

PLEASE DO FINISH YOUR TOP!! You will be so very pleased when it is done, and you will enjoy it even more....I,for one, would LOVE to see a picture or two of it - both now and when quilted.