Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM

I took the small bedroom for a sewing room when I moved in here. I'm a widow and can leave a mess without worry of anyone complaining.company comes all I do is close the door.My husband made cutting table for me it is 36X60 and 39" high as I'm quite tall. :lol:
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM

I use one of the extra bedrooms and have the bed taken apart, but propped against the wall(so it does use some of my space). I'm thankful for what I have, but at the same time I'm envious of everyone that has a STUDIO!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Well I guess I'm the lucky one now. My DW and I will be moving into our new house (new to us anyway) next month. I will have a sewing room just off the living room that is about 12x14 with a lot of windows to bring in light. It will take me a while but eventually I will have all the cabinets and counter space and a cutting table in the middle that we all want to have. I'm so excited I can't get it out of my mind even to sleep at night. Will post pictures of it as I progress through the project.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM

My sewing room is one of the spare bedrooms upstairs. I use to use a room off the basement but I gave that to my grand kids to sleep in when they stay over.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM

When I married my husband 8 years ago, we started looking for a house with a large enough space for a longarm machine. The house we bought was 3 bedroom with a large livingroom just off the front hall, which would serve perfectly as a quilting room. I set up my sewing table with my Bernina and my serger, and when we bought the longarm, it was set up in that room. Then a few years later I realized I needed a large cutting table, and I also bought 2 commercial sewing machies, so I took the master bedroom for that. We moved into the second bedroom, which is pretty small. The third "bedroom" had built-in cupboards which served perfectly for all my stash. Our "den" became the living room and it all worked fine. Then last year my hubby decided to build on a new sewing/quilting room! It is almost 500 square feet and has its own 1/2 bath. So he tells people he got his livingroom and his master bedroom back. But, seriously, I really am blessed to have this space and I'm very thankful for a husband who enables my quilting habit! Of course, my business is paying some of the bills, so he can go fishing more! My avatar shows me in the old quilting room with the Bernina behind me. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90662.jpe   attachment-90663.jpe  
Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 PM

What used to be the dining room. We live in an old house, the dining room is attached to the old living room. 30 yrs ago we used it as a dining room and I sewed up in the hall room. The kids came along, the dining room became the toy room, I moved my sewing stuff to our bedroom, which was part of the new addition. The addition enlarged the kitchen, so we 'ate' in it, and the old dining room was used to whelp litters of pups. Then the accident, my life as a breeder is no more, and my dearest husband turned what used to be a dining room to a sewing room. The whole room. I sewed my first project in the room today, a sewing machine cover.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
What used to be the dining room. We live in an old house, the dining room is attached to the old living room. 30 yrs ago we used it as a dining room and I sewed up in the hall room. The kids came along, the dining room became the toy room, I moved my sewing stuff to our bedroom, which was part of the new addition. The addition enlarged the kitchen, so we 'ate' in it, and the old dining room was used to whelp litters of pups. Then the accident, my life as a breeder is no more, and my dearest husband turned what used to be a dining room to a sewing room. The whole room. I sewed my first project in the room today, a sewing machine cover.
LOL! I expect most of us have moved our sewing area several times for different reasons! One friend has moved hers upstairs and then downstairs several times! She has a beautiful "bonus room" up there, but now her health prevents her from climbing the stairs! :cry:
For us, there was a sun room on the back of the house which served as a dining room, just off the kitchen. That is still our every-day eating room, but the "den" will soon become our formal dining room. I'm dizzy, trying to figure out all this!! It's something like Trading Spaces!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Well I would normally be saying I work at the kitchen table when at home otherwise I only sew when I go out to craft group however, about a week ago I got so fed up with having to pack and unpack all my sewing bits’ pieces when I wanted to sew that I set up a corner for sewing in our ‘house under construction’ and have been sewing out there. The house building project is on hold till next April so thought why not? I will have a designated sewing room in the main house having incorporated this into the house plans from the word go. :lol:

Maybe1day
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Dee

The attic is my whole sewing room.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM

I have the largest room in my house - a bedroom upstairs with 2 walk-in closets. Fits my 6' cutting table, 2 4'x8' bookcases, gate-leg table with my Janome, ironing board, my Elna on it's sewing table and my longarm Innova 18" on a 12' frame. I still have room to walk around!

I started out almost 3 years ago with my DH's Singer on a dining chair while I sat on my recliner, moved to the dining room table, then to a corner of the living room. When I bought my longarm, I moved my guest room to a smaller bedroom and snagged the big one for myself, moved everything upstairs.

I know, I'm spoiled!!!