Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
O.K. I have this grande damme all figured out. She has plastic on the furniture, she never use the china or the silver, her silk undies are being saved for something that hasn't happened and probably won't. She uses old towels and old sheets because the good ones might show wear, and if she has a quilt she probably won't use it either. Just too sad to go through life saving everything for someday, and hilarious that she would try to foist her weirdo ideas off on you!
AND she probably never has friends over to her house because they might spill something or mess something up. What a lonely existence![/quote]

I'm sorry to say that this could have described my mother. She really did save the "nice" things for special occasions; but when the special occasions came the children were put in a different room to eat their food from the "everyday dishes"--all the sofas and chairs had ugly covers to "keep them from getting dirty"--the beautiful wood dining table had a cushion, plastic cloth, and tablecloth on top to "protect" it--her diamond rings were locked in a safe to be worn only on Sundays--I could go on and on. She died 3 years ago and I miss her everyday but the first thing I did after the funeral was to throw away the ugly covers, bare the dining table, put out the good towels for use, use the good silverware and dinnerware, and I took hers and dad's diamond rings and had a ring and pendant made for myself that I wear every day (even when I'm washing the dishes). I have said to my children many times that their grandparents are probably rolling over in their graves at my rebellious behavior. But I am 70 years old and I want the things I leave to my children to have pleasant memories to make them special to them.

Of course, I'm also hoping that all the quilts and throws I am busy making will become treasured memories that have had much loving use from the day they are received. When my youngest told me the baby quilt for her 2nd child had not been used yet (he's 3 months old now), I told her to use it and if washing ruined it, I would make him another. (She doesn't know there are 2 more in the making for him for Christmas anyway :)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 PM

I made quilt for my table and we eat on it all the time and idt washes up so nice. I think is is so silly to cover up someting like that for your table. I make them and I use them , even the one on our bed and the dog sleeps with us and sleeps on it too. I f I spend all that time to make something i am going to use it.

Originally Posted by wraez
eewwww how old was this police woman? Vinyl or laminate? Yuck, sounds like something an old lady would do like my grandma 40 yrs ago.

ohoh I didn't read all the responses, so I hope not to offend anyone that puts vinyl on their table runners etc!

just saying

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-103341.bmp  
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM

I thought we made/bought table toppers to put on our tables to collect the dust so that we didn't have to dust the tables.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM

ITreeFrog[/quote]

My Aunt was one of those people who had to have everything perfect. She wouldn't allow kids at the main table because of the adult convesations that took place and us kids making to much noise. I haven't seen her since my Mom and Dad past away and she makes no effort to be in contact and she lives only a half hour away from me and I have tried many times to call her and try to visit but she is always to busy. I am just glad that I have my kids and Grand kids.[/quote]

She must be very lonely.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I once read a magazine store about an extended family getting together for Christmas. Everyone insisted that this one sister bring her special tablecloth and one of her children looked forward to sitting "at the cranberry stain"..I am with you. The love and life of a piece has a story of its on.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mamagee
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
O.K. I have this grande damme all figured out. She has plastic on the furniture, she never use the china or the silver, her silk undies are being saved for something that hasn't happened and probably won't. She uses old towels and old sheets because the good ones might show wear, and if she has a quilt she probably won't use it either. Just too sad to go through life saving everything for someday, and hilarious that she would try to foist her weirdo ideas off on you!
AND she probably never has friends over to her house because they might spill something or mess something up. What a lonely existence!

I'm sorry to say that this could have described my mother. She really did save the "nice" things for special occasions; but when the special occasions came the children were put in a different room to eat their food from the "everyday dishes"--all the sofas and chairs had ugly covers to "keep them from getting dirty"--the beautiful wood dining table had a cushion, plastic cloth, and tablecloth on top to "protect" it--her diamond rings were locked in a safe to be worn only on Sundays--I could go on and on. She died 3 years ago and I miss her everyday but the first thing I did after the funeral was to throw away the ugly covers, bare the dining table, put out the good towels for use, use the good silverware and dinnerware, and I took hers and dad's diamond rings and had a ring and pendant made for myself that I wear every day (even when I'm washing the dishes). I have said to my children many times that their grandparents are probably rolling over in their graves at my rebellious behavior. But I am 70 years old and I want the things I leave to my children to have pleasant memories to make them special to them.

Of course, I'm also hoping that all the quilts and throws I am busy making will become treasured memories that have had much loving use from the day they are received. When my youngest told me the baby quilt for her 2nd child had not been used yet (he's 3 months old now), I told her to use it and if washing ruined it, I would make him another. (She doesn't know there are 2 more in the making for him for Christmas anyway :)[/quote]

Iam from your, our generation checking in at 71. I think that those people who went through the depression became ultra aware of saving the good stuff because they at one time had so little. My folks never went for the plastic but the good china and silver were used only on special occasions when the whole family showed up (meaning grandparents, sisters, brothers etc) which usually meant Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or Summer time. When they built a new home in 1959 it had plaster walls (not drywall) and my Dad never let my mother hang a single picture on those walls because he was afraid that the nail might cause a big hole in the plaster, yet he was a very generous person, just one of those quirks. They are both gone now for many years but I tried not repeat those depression era ways as my kids grew up.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dusty222
My mom crocheted tons of tablecloths and I have no idea what happened to them after she passed -- probably given to Good Will. Granof6 Please, please post a picture.
I just posted pictures of the tablecloth under "My 9 1/2 year lace tablecloth."
Old 10-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Can't you just imagine that person's home. All of her furniture must be covered in plastic as would her dining table and you probably have to take your shoes off at the door. LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
That is some inspiration I like to hear!

I'm glad you're well!

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
When I was young and newly married I began collecting my china pattern one piece at a time over the years. The china meant alot to me because it took me so long to save for it and because I bought the first small piece on our honeymoon. We used the china for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Many years later, the year I turned 50, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. One of the first things I did was to give away my everyday dishes and put my good china in my kitchen cabinets. We have used the "good" china everyday since, and I no longer worry about hand-washing it. I figure we might as well enjoy it! Many guests have said to me, "But what if the gold rim gets washed off by putting the china in the dishwasher?" I laugh and tell them I can't take the china, with or without the gold rim, with me! Moral of the story: enjoy your quilts, special dishes, silver, etc. now while you can....besides, your DIL may not like it!!!! PS...get your mammograms, ladies...it saved my life!
Thank you! Ten years at Thanksgiving!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM

I vote for using, washing, using, washing, etc. I used to give my DSIL potholders for Christmas, but when one was needed, she said they were too pretty to use. My solution - I found the ugliest pot holders I could find and gave them to her for Christmas. She laughed and now I can always find a pot holder at her house. Mine are so well used I am not sure what is stain and what was the original color on some of them.