Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 11-02-2010, 04:18 PM

covering a table topper with vinyl? sounds tacky and unattractive, but to each his/her own I guess.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by cosyquilter
I remember a story about a pioneer child who got a pretty pair of red shoes, for christmas, I think. put in the trunk for best. went barefoot for school. often snuck a longing peek at the shoes. finally an occassion good enough, but the shoes were too small. I cried hard at that story and use my good china often. Quilts are to use and admire. Most will wash, and can be mended or patched. USE THEM
I whole heartedly agree. I have a friend who stated that she would make a quilt for her bed but her husband would want to lie on it and mess it up. I told her that is why we make them. When I was growing up my mom made quilts to be used on our beds not for show. We never made quilts that were to be just looked at from time to time. These were a necessity for our beds in order to stay warm.
You people will really think I'm weird when I say this, but here goes. I love for the family to use my little quilt that I wrap in when I'm in my recliner or on the sofa. The reason is not only that I like for them to be comfortable. I also like their scent on my quilt. Everyone has a scent that they leave behind. And it's a wonderful memory and comfort to be reminded of these loved ones. I remember my uncle going into his wife's closet after her death and picking up a handkerchief from one of her coat pockets and putting it up to his nose and just breathing in her scent.

I want my quilts to be used and used. Who wants a new quilt? It has to be used.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM

I am helping my granddaughter learn how to quilt and she takes the quilts to the nursing home because the patients there really like seeing her come to visit and take their quilts out of their gift bags . I have seen some relatives bend over and examine the quilts for mistakes,and my granddaughter has too. This used to upset her. I told her not to let those snippy fools get to her,because what she was doing was from the heart. She told me that should wait til her hand quilting was perfect. I told her that no person in the world had make a perfect quilt,only God could do that.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I have a relative like that. She has a living room and a dining room that no one is allowed to go into. She also has candles that that can't be lit and bathroom towels that can't be used. My 12-year granddaughter says going to her house is like going to a museum,look but don't touch.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM

my DH and my sons very carefully avoid a table topper and place mats and place the hot items on the table, because they are afraid of soiling the topper, or something!! it has driven me crazy for years and years; their feelings are so easily hurt, i don't correct them. :|