Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Tell her you've decided to live life on the edge!!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?

Yes, and with using antique glassware for a shower too. I've tried to explain that these things are made to be and have been used for hundreds of years in everyday use. What's the use in having something if you're not going to use it! If they are stained, broken or destroyed then so be it's they were used, loved and served the purpose they were intended to serve. They have provided many wonderful memories for me and the generations before me. I decide how I'll use the things I own or create.

Andie :D :D :D
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM

I agree. We had a neighbor that had plastic on her furniture and it was horrible!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM

I have said this before on here but, I will say it again. When my mom passed and we cleaned out her stuff we had to throw away so many things that had been stored for who knows how many years waiting for that special occasion to be usedd. Beautiful hand crochet and embroidery all wasted. When I make something it is used. My grandkids drags quilts all over the place and they are washed to death and further more when they wear those out I will make them more.
Some folks just do not get it.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
kinda like putting plastic covers on your living room furniture!
I've never seen that. Why would someone do that?

And I vote for ketchup too. :lol: But Granof6, if my mom made me such a tablecloth I would cover it also or take it away for dinner and after dinner replace it back. Thats a tablecloth with a story.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Well, I'm with you about the table toppers. I'll sit my Shoyu (soy sauce) next to your ketchup and mustard.
BUT...on that lace table cloth..sorry, I'd cover it too. I have one that my grandmother made and one from my mom. When I use them, they have a plastic cover over them. I dont want to take the chance of something happening to it in the washer/dryer. The one from my grandmother was made in 1890 and my mom made hers in the 40s
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by Mattee
I have to admit that I might have covered that one as well!

Originally Posted by grann of 6
All this talk about quilt police and plastic covers reminds me of a funny thing that happened a couple years ago. This is going to be rather lengthy, but bear with me. I used to crochet doilies for gifts; learned from an aunt when I was a child. Anyhow, I always wanted to make a crocheted tablecloth, to everyone else's hilarity. Yah, Mom finishing a tablecloth, right! Well, I started making motifs years ago and worked away on them while my husband was having chemo, and during doctor visits. I wrote the beginning date on the pattern. After he passed away I couldn't work on it for about 2 years. Then I finally decided I would finish it for the next Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's home. Now I didn't tell anyone this; they just saw me working on it and laughing silently. So anyhow I finally finished it the weekend before Thanksgiving that year and one day without saying a word, went to my daughter's house and put it on the table; wondering how long it would take her to find it. The next morning I get a phone call from her saying, " I am at Joann's in the vinyl tablecloth aisle, how much plastic and what weight should I get to cover that lace tablecloth you put on my dining room table?" I was rather abashed that she was going to cover it with plastic, but she said, "Well, I'll never get it washed and blocked and back on the table so humor me." So every year we sit there with plastic over it and enjoy it. By the way, it took me 9 1/2 years to complete it. And I told my 2 DDIL's not to expect duplicates.
God bless you for your stick-to-it attitude and God bless your daughter for wanting to keep Mom's work in perfect condition for generation after generation.
Thank you all for your compliments. Sometime I will take a picture of it for all of you to drool over. Every time I look at it I am amazed that I actually did it. It is on a table that will seat 12 easily. I think there are something like 475 motifs. I have it all written down for her; she has that stored in a drawer. I remember that my grandmother had hand crocheted bedspreads on all her beds. I guess that is why I wanted to make one. Never again! Now on to quilting.....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by nab
Well, maybe she has some OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disease). We have one of those here at work and she drives us all crazy. We have learned to ignore most of it, but I cannot resist sometimes to do something that I know will drive her up the wall. Example: Everything has to be filed just exactly where she wants it. So guess what? I don't. Was this her first project that she finished? Was she that proud of it?
I have table toppers too and once they are on the table, they are fair game for live. Use them, make memories and lol.
So glad to hear that someone else does things just to get a reaction from the OCD crowd! I think behind my back here at work they MUST call me "The INSTIGATOR", because if I feel somebody does something purely just because they want it that way I do it differently. If there's a good reason, I'm all for doing things the same, but really...... how would this world look if we all did everything the same??????
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM

All for ketchup...say yeah!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Pickles, gravy, blackberry pie, the first lipstick, etc....all these will find there way down the generations along with stories of remembered family dinners. Don't people know that vinyl isn't healthy??