Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by deema
I FINALLY finished my MIL's Christmas gift quilt...with just two weeks to spare, because we're celebrating early. I finished hiding all of my loose threads last night and threw it in the wash...I took it out today and it's shrunk and distorted and puckered and I am so sad. I pre-washed all of my fabric (front and back)...I think the batting is what shrunk (it is a cotton/poly blend but I don't know the ratio because I bought it second hand without packaging or anything)...It looks awful. I feel awful. I can't give this as a gift to somebody...it's terrible! I'm so sad. It's shrunk AT LEAST four inches!!!

:cry:

Now what am I supposed to to about MIL's Christmas gift?!? AHHHHHH
I'm so sorry you had this experience. Could you give it anyway? MIL won't know that it should be four inches larger, do you think. Oh, I don't know if this is the right advice, but I'm sorry this happened to you after all your work.
Blessings,
Angela
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laceybritt
Woah!! Right when I posted the pic came up. Honestly, I can see the difference, but it does not look that bad. She does not know what it looked like before it was washed.
I agree that it prob not as bad to others as you because you know what it looked like before.
It looks cosy and I love the fabrics you used.
IMO she will love it.
I'm on page one and not time enough to read 11 more pages, but no matter, if somebody made me a quilt and it shrunk, I would still want it.
If I made one and it shrunk, yes I would cry.
I can empathize with how you feel. It's what we all, as quilters hope never happens, but I love everything my kids and grands have given to me, especially if they made it themselves.
My six year old granddaughter drew a snowman, a candy cane and a star on paper last year and glued them onto cardboard, colored and cut them out.
I got some red ribbon and she watched me put a little hole in each one and put the ribbon in and tie it. To the world, it may look like a six year old made them, but to me they are golden.
If it makes you feel better, give her a box of chocolates and a box of kleenex with the quilt, tell her what happened and if you start to cry, she can pass you a tissue with chocolate and a hug. :)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Your quilt doesn't look bad at all!! In fact, I like my quilts to look like that...it reminds me of the quilts my grandmother used to make that I loved and still love. It just has the "old fashioned" look, and I'll bet your MIL will love it!! You could try steam ironing it, but if were me, I would just gift it the way it is and not say a word. I think its beautiful!!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I think the steam iron might be the answer. It doesn't look as bad as I thought you were explaining. Of course you are there but I think you can salvage it. Don't cry.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I would wet it and block, stretching it as much as you can and pin it to a rug. Let it dry overnight. You might get some stretch out of it and like others said, she isn't going to know. She will love it. Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Don't cry. Wash it again in cold water. Put it in the dryer on LOW for a few minutes. Take it out and lay it on a clean floor and stretch it out a bit so it looks square and pat it down. When it is ALMOST completely dry put it back in dryer on air. Actually the photos don't look so bad and you are going to fold and wrap for Christmas anyway so your MIL will not even notice. She will just love it because you made it for her.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM

It's a beautiful quilt, just try ironing it first. I'm sorry you had trouble with it.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM

That is a beautiful quilt. Try to rewash, shape, air dry and then iron. Too pretty to scrap.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
DBW

I think it's fine. Can you imagine how bad she would have felt if she did the washing and the shock for her to think she ruined the wonderful quilt you had made for her? I really think it is better this way. She wont know the difference between before and after now. Small blessing!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM

I think it looks wonferful, nice and comfy. She will love it I bet.