Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually use a pattern? >

How many of you actually use a pattern?

How many of you actually use a pattern?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 PM

I have used a pattern to start a quilt, but have not yet followed a pattern all the way through. I get just so far, before my imagination gets away from me.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM

frugle
Sounds like your grandmother was in the group that tried to have the most fabric when she dies. Sue Houseman's husband says she is sure to win that contest.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM

When I made clothes, I mixed up all kinds of patterns. I take classes where we do our own thing. But, on my own, I almost always follow patterns. I am helping you pattern designers put meals on your tables. I can make log cabin, rail fence, etc. w/o a pattern, but wouldn't consider wasting fabric w/o a pattern. I just love experimenting with fabric color, etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 AM

I sometimes use a pattern and sometimes don't. Probably moe often than not I don't use a pattern...but I'm rebelious and even when I have a pattern I often change it into something else.

The only real plus for me in using a pattern is that all your cutting is laid out for you. Sometimes I like how that can save you time and from having to bust out your math skills. (Math is not my strongpoint...and I've vowed to make no efforts to improve that. Lol*) I also rarely over buy fabric if I'm using a pattern. When I go my own route I end up buying hoards of fabric, and fudging the math a few times resulting in many extra orphaned blocks. But I still like to make up quilts as I go. ;) Sometimes with the aid of EQ which helps on the fabric hoarding aspect. Although I wonder if subconciously I'm just enjoying buying all that extra cotton... ;)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM

With both sewing and quilting I rely heavily on my pattern guide sheet. There are times when I venture out, but for the most part, those who write the instructions are better than me in figuring these things out. I wish I was more of a free spirit, but sure appreciate clear pictures and detailed instructions!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM

I cant really read a pattern. Not the kind that Simplicity or Butteric make anyway. Im good with just reading from a book, or watching tutorials online.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM

I use patterns from several different books I have purchased. Of course I will never live long enough to quilt
every pattern that I have. I now have a huge library of books and magazines to pick from. I like the books, they state fabric amounts, different color choices, sizes etc. Never drafted a new quilt pattern on my own. Have started going through magazines and tearing out the ones I like and placing in plastic holders, to clear out more space. Betty Lee
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 AM

I have found that I have no sence of geometry. And, that some things that looks simple and is truely beautiful is not always easy to figure out and hense I need a very detailed pattern with kindergarden pics and instructions lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

I have never used a pattern. Make my own designs, regardless of pieced, appliqued or otherwise.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM

I use patterns, but I won't buy single patterns because they are too expensive. I'll use books and magazines and frequently combine several elements of different quilts together to get what I want. Occasionally I'll come up with ideas on my own, draw them out on graph paper, test on scraps (making orphan blocks that will eventually be a quilt) and go for it!