Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually use a pattern? >

How many of you actually use a pattern?

How many of you actually use a pattern?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

It depends on the quilt I want to make. I do draft my own patterns & I sometimes use EQ6, I do have tons of patterns & books & magazines that I look through. If it is a paper pieced project then I will use the pattern given. So I do both I guess. Seems you also learn alot when you do anothers pattern. Their tips & shortcuts. I just love it all! LOL
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I use a pattern but many times add a little something of my own to make it my own. I need a pattern for material amounts and cutting size of block pieces
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Good topic...I am a beginner. I figured it would be best to learn different techniques via patterns at first before going off on my own.. However, I've noticed I'm starting to avoid sewing because of the restrictions of following a pattern and I start thinking> hmm, What If I just use paint to highlight it here or there..or..what if I actually fuse the quilt design to canvas and hand stitch...or.. what if I use embroidery thread here or there..I'm also starting to stare at my graph paper and dream up different patterns lol... Am I just a dreamer?... Do I need a drafting book?..Do I just hate the math but love the fabric colors?..Am I just being drawn to being a Mixed Media Quilter lol...Like many of you, I'm really enjoying this journey and am really curious as to where it will take me..

I was going to order 2 books..One on fabric painting and one on drafting..
Does anyone have a book on drafting/learning to design..That they would highly recommend? So many books out there, make a girls head spin lol
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 AM

I do use a pattern, but do land up changing somewhere, but at least it does give me a good idea of what or where i am going.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 AM

most of my quilts are traditional quilt blocks with wild colors and fabrics. I've used patterns sometimes, but not often.
I have Electric Quilt6 and play with fabrics and blocks.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

I have found by using EQ I do not cut the fabric up then find out I do not like the way it came out. I like to audition the fabric first. I scan it into EQ move it around till I get what I like first
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Question - if you don't use a pattern how to you calculate the fabric needed?
I haven't pieced that long or that much so I always need a pattern although I don't use the specific fabrics they may list for a pattern.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I quilted off and on during my life, mostly off these last 10 years or so, and have recently come back to it. What I'm wondering is, how many people actually purchase and follow a pattern for a quilt? I have never used a pattern. Some times I look through books or mags for some design ideas, but most quilts are simple enough to do without patterns (squares, rectangles, triangles, etc...) so except for the most intricate ones, are patterns even really necessary? How often do you use them?

I have posted a quilt or two here and the first question that always pops up is: Where did you get that pattern? Do most people piece from patterns?

I never use a pattern, takes me to look figuring out what goes where etc. I do like you, get ideas from patterns books or quilts I have seen somewhere and then create my own in my head. If I goof up I can usually figure a way to make it come out OK.

A friend of ours makes things from wood. He does it the same way. Sees something he likes some where and then goes home and makes one. Him and his wife have made some really neat doll houses.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by selm
I haven't pieced that long or that much so I always need a pattern although I don't use the specific fabrics they may list for a pattern.
A lot of us have our stashes, I for one buy material when I see it on sale, or at a gr sale, where prices can't be beat. Plus I buy up sheets and use those.
Now having a stash would drive my husband batty. He saves every lil scrap or left over pieces, but never buys unless he has a specific reason to use, say like wood.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by joyceinoh
Originally Posted by selm
A lot of us have our stashes, I for one buy material when I see it on sale, or at a gr sale, where prices can't be beat. Plus I buy up sheets and use those.
Now having a stash would drive my husband batty. He saves every lil scrap or left over pieces, but never buys unless he has a specific reason to use, say like wood.
I read that it is not good to use sheets for quilting because the threads are much more closely woven than fabric for quilting, which means that the needle actually BREAKS the thread as it punches through and actually compromises the stability of the quilt. I bought a few before I read this.
:( :( :(