Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually use a pattern? >

How many of you actually use a pattern?

How many of you actually use a pattern?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by joyceinoh
Originally Posted by selm
Question - if you don't use a pattern how to you calculate the fabric needed?
I haven't pieced that long or that much so I always need a pattern although I don't use the specific fabrics they may list for a pattern.
A lot of us have our stashes, I for one buy material when I see it on sale, or at a gr sale, where prices can't be beat. Plus I buy up sheets and use those.
Now having a stash would drive my husband batty. He saves every lil scrap or left over pieces, but never buys unless he has a specific reason to use, say like wood.
I read that it is not good to use sheets for quilting because the threads are much more closely woven than fabric for quilting, which means that the needle actually BREAKS the thread as it punches through and actually compromises the stability of the quilt. I bought a few before I read this.
:( :( :(
I use the 200 thread count sheets They work for me. :)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 AM

I have the quilters calculator it works great!! It helps figure out how much I need. I always buy more than I need just in case I mess up
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM

If I bought a kit then yes I will use the pattern and follow it exactly - don't want to run out of fabric!! Otherwise I look at pictures and make modifications on size of squares and such to fit my stash.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Same here.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM

I draw all of my patterns on graph paper and use that pattern that I created or copied. Having said that, rarely does the final product look exactly like the original design.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to use patterns for my templets only because I have so many other things on my mind to function with that I don't feel I want to take the necessary time to complete a quilt without some kind of guidance. I am now designing my own storm at sea and it is very challenging giving that I work and have a home to take care of along with 3 young men and my husband, pets, house work , chores, errands. Need I say more.?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Me too!! I follow the instructions for the amount of fabric and buy extra, just in case something goes wrong.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Some times I use a pattern, but usually end up modifying it. I have a library of quilting books and magazines and I love to sit on the deck in the late afternoon, when the weather is nice, with a glass of wine and read them.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

I too have a lot of quilting books and magazines. I love to sit and read them and can't wait til they come in the mail. Yesterday I received 2 at the same time. Sat down and read them both. I also love getting my catalogues from Nancy's Notions, Connecting Threads, Clothilde and Keepsake Quilting. I started yesterday to go thru all the old paperwork and quilting catalogues in my sewing room and found some from 2005 and 2006. Why did I keep them so long. I made myself toss them.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

I like patterns, but usually end up changing some things, & do my own thing. Great for ideas though, & some blocks. I think it's important to let your own creativity loose too, & if that changes the original pattern, then so be it. Not all of us want to make an exact replica, that any one who buys the pattern, can also!... I love playing with patterns this way, it's like, after awhile, the quilt takes on it's own design. You start, thinking one thing, & before you know, you may be going in a totally different direction, & end up with a totally different quilt design, than the one you were first thinking about, & there is nothing at all wrong with that. Now, if someone wants the name of the pattern, tell them which you started out with, & they can take it from there....