Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5" >

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM

OK Sewbiz girl, I have to ask; how many years have you been in this swap? This will be year 3 for me and I just now have enough to do the Growing Up Odd quilt. Yes, I will have a few left over from the past two years, but not that many. I also love your swoon and I remember when you originally posted the larger Arkansas Crossroads. I do love the way you put the same color family all together for your first one.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:40 PM

I've been using my batik candy, matched with black, as a leader/ender project. I'm trying to decide how many 2's I have to have before I make them into 4's. I'm make big a batik/black checker board style top.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM

wooHoo!!6 more packages of candies:n10sgrnl,JaniceMcC,Trish b,moonrise,barbara kibler23,and Lv2sew 2011.It's not going to be easy waiting almost 3 wks. to open!!! Thanks everyone.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:01 PM

OK just a warning....I'm a little bit mad (actually really mad)

Last week I took the kids that I nanny (13 and 11) to my local quilt shop. They are home schooled so we have the luxury of doing some day time activities. My LQS was having a "turtle day" where you go in and everyone makes turtles for the terminal kids at the near by hospital. I thought this would be a good thing to do with the kids. A good community project. So we went and spent 2 1/2 hours last week sewing turtles (also learned how to install a zipper) never did that before!!! We did NOT finish the project so I decided I would go in today to finish my turtle so I could go back and teach the kids how to finish their turtle. (the kids are in Oregon this week)

When I got there they were just finishing up so I came in to check when the next time they were doing it...next wednesday. Then the lady who was in charge of the workshop said to me (NOT A STORE EMPLOYEE)....please don't bring the kids here anymore. They really don't belong here. We need to work when we are here at our workshops!
I was so surprised that I pretty much got up and left without saying very much(feelings really hurt). The kids sat and sewed last week. I found out each step and then showed them. I really don't know the problem. Last week when we were leaving Elijah (11 yr old) said that lady was really nice this time. I said what do you mean this time??? He said she was the lady that told Amelia and I that "She really doesn't like kids" I did not know of this until last week. We were probably there over a year ago and we were making pillowcases for the same hospital. grrrrrrrr.

After I left and called the store and talked to Mary the store owner and told her what happen. She was very apologetic and said she talked to the lady and the lady said that they were disruptive for the other people at the workshop. HMMMM the only other person at the workshop was a boy who was in middle school and he was there because his grandma worked at the store and he had a half day of school. He was very nice and worked hard to so she was not confused on what kids I brought.

ok done ranting (maybe )
Old 01-28-2016, 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear of your experience. The one LQS that I frequent most is very open to kids attending events, even retreats, as long as they are not disruptive. That does not sound like the case with the kids you had there with you.

This shop even has a small, and I do mean small, kid area when the kids can sit at a table and color or play peg board games.

How do people think children will learn if they are not encouraging their creativity and allowing them to participate. There will not be LQS in the future if the store owners do not welcome the future generation.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

So this lady was cool with making turtles for kids in hospitals (because it made her feel good about herself) but NOT cool with being kind to actual children within reach... She sounds like she has problems. I would just bring the kids and act like you never heard what she said to you. Unless the shop owner had a problem with them, I'd bring the kids back. And then, closely monitor her interaction with them. Who made her the workshop sheriff? Grrrr. Not kind.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Be bold and be the advocate for the children! Support them and the shop owner. You many want to suggest the owner stop in at ANY time to see if the children are "disturbing others". I bet the owner may find a new teacher. You may have a new job teaching children the joy of service and fabric.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 PM

Anaka Quilter, another way to aquire candies is to join one of the other swaps where everything is mailed at once and received back the same way. You get 750 or so that way. Also save a couple squares from every piece of fabric you use all year long. Ask your friends for scraps, I am so supprised at how many different pieces I get that way. Quilt shops usually have scrap bins. Carefully folded, you can get a lot in a little plastic bag for $2 or $3. I am always finding inventive ways to add to my candies stach without buying fat quarters all ther time.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:13 AM

Children were not allowed (sign in window) in a very nice LQS (not in Oklahoma) so I boycott those kind of shops even though my kids are grown now! There are many other places to shop, volunteer, & bring the kiddos for learning a experience without that type of nonsense! The girl scout troop was so disappointed! The store pushed out potential long term customers & you know how teenagers talk, talk, talk! Bet that store manager's ears were burning for weeks! We finished the project at Joanne's workroom in between their scheduled classes. I'm no big fan of Joanne's but anything for the troop success.
Sorry you & the children had to endure such a negative person, ugh! Don't blame you for being !
hugs,
dj
Old 01-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Might be looking for a new quilt shop

so in my post yesterday I forgot to mention one more thing....

There are two parts at this quilt shop....a small but lovely store and a large workshop room.

There are 4 large tables in this room surrounded by chairs. I have been going to this shop for probably 4-5 years (as long as I have been quilting. So now they have NEW chairs....chairs on rollers and backs and arms. Lovely chairs...all except one thing. ALL the chairs have name tags on them. Evidently the store owner found all of the chairs at a place going out of business. Her customers (the regulars) all paid for a chair. So they have signs on them that say "their name" and if I am not here you can sit in my chair but just know if I show up ...out you go!

So I am not feeling the love at the store. The owner is a wonderful lady, everyone who works at the store is very nice. I have gone into the workshop before (made pillowcases for the hospital) most of the women seem nice. But I'm feeling like this is high school again and I'm not in the cool group!

does anyone else have a workshop like this???? not very inviting

I am taking a class next Saturday (something to do with our sweet candy squares) so I will let you know what I think actually working in there.

Hope there is a seat in there for me.....
Barb