Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >
  • March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

• March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Thank you for your support and encouragement and especially, prayers.
    Nanci, I don't know which came first, but tomorrow morning it will definitely be the egg!

We all have pain and scars to get to where we are. It is part of growth and growing. Scabbed knees and scraped hearts.
    Where we have been is what makes us strong.

Our goal on this thread is to be stronger and healthier, to make conscious decisions for our health and self-esteem. We can make this happen because we are capable, strong women with the ability to change ourselves and our future.

I AM losing and I AM caring for me.
    Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM

"we are stitching our lives together one patch at a time, cutting out the worn out parts and adding brighter, better blocks! wishing everyone a beautiful, and meaningful new pattern to your life!" Nancia, that is a beautiful thought, though in my case I was advised by my phsycologist to leave parts of my childhood buried so I will just stitch my new blocks them over as to not disturb them by cutting. Don't make me cry.

MJ, prayers for you that the doctor can make an adjustment. You'll need to find out what part of the new diet upset your potassium balance. When I think potassium, I think bananas, but I hadn't heard you say you'd been eating many. I barely like bananas but I eat one a day for the potassium for my heart and muscles.

I let Moira talk me into going into the woods this evening. There are a lot of trees down and I missed a turn. Moira kept looking back at me before I figured it out. I had to backtrack and climb over the downed trees to get to the right trail. It was still rough with downed branches but the furgirls had a good time running and leaping over downed trees. I'm glad I'm not wandering in the Manistee Nat'l Forest. With 86 degree weather, the bears may wake up early and the coyotes don't hiberate. Thank goodness for a dog that is smarter than I am. Darn Border Collie blood.

I worked on the Sunny Lanes quilt today. The drawer under my oven is balking at holding the glass pans it has always stored, so I need to clean the lower cupboards to find them a new spot. That will not be fun so I stall by quilting - good for the quilt, but not good for the glass dishes stacked on the counter.

So far I've only had 4 chocolates and only planned meals. I can do this with your support. Thank you.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Judy,
    I have not eaten any bananas, potatoes, etc. The doctors are more focused on kidney failure. Potassium rich foods include spinach, green veggies, whole grain foods, fish, yogurt, tomatoes and fruits, in other words, my regular diet.
    Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Today's reading for potassium was normal. We will check again in a month.
    Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Glad to hear your level was normal purplemem. Hope they find out what's going on and can resolve it.
    Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM

purplemem - Prayers are answers!!! Have a great day.
    Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Today's reading for potassium was normal. We will check again in a month.
    Great to hear!!!!

I had my Dr apt today. Got some blood work done on Friday, 6 vials worth! Anyway my Primary Care called me on Monday and left a message, he was really excited about my results. My combined Cholesterol was 170, my Kidney, Liver and Thyroid were perfect and my Alkaline Phosphates were still high but down. He was really happy with me. Just got home from seeing my Ortho and then my Endocrinologist and my weight loss since Thanksgiving is 30 lbs. My vitamin D level is still pretty low but better than last time. Some of the blood work was still pending but she was very happy with my weight loss. Cautioned me about not letting the lbs come back on. I had hoped for a little bit better weigh in but am happy. She will see me again in a month and hopefully I will have lost at least another 8-10 lbs. I will be quite happy to get under 250. Was at 255 today.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

I saw my Podiatrist on Monday and he sent me home with the new orthotic he made for me that is supposed to help take the pressure off my heel. It is helping slightly, but my foot still hurts too darn much. I will see him again on Monday but it is starting to look like I will have to have surgery. We talked about it a little on Monday and I expressed my concern with not being able to fully "crutch" Since I have had 3 shoulder surgeries and am so heavy I cannot hold my weight with crutches. Having had knee surgery 7 weeks ago, I also cannot use a knee scooter without a bit of pain. He said I could not walk on the foot for 4 weeks (it is my left so I can still sew!!!) but with the boot he will put on it I could put a little weight on it. If I could put some weight on it and use crutches to lessen the weight on my foot I might survive. I will know a little more on Monday, maybe!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Good news, MJ. Our prayers were answered.

Jim's Gem, the PT department in Traverse City told me they didn't allow anyone over 25 to use crutches. I was 52 at the time and used them anyway. I still use them if I need to, but never if the injured foot has to be non-weight bearing now. You use them with your arm muscles. I had a friend who ended up needing surgery on her back muscles in the shoulder area because she leaned on the crutches to walk. Have your doctor write a script for a wheelchair and buy a rolling walker. Those two together are safer. For my last surgery when I could bear weight on my heel, that's the combo I had. Wheelchair indoors and rolling walker outdoors with hobbling short ditances. I could get a lot more done than if I had just been hobbling around all the time. Boy, it's coming up on two years already. I need another surgery, but I am putting it off because I think the damaged nerves in my back and a heavy cast are a bad combination.

Second day of candy under control. Thank you, nancia. My weight was down a bit this morning. This aftrernoon, I walked the dogs an hour in wicked thunder. As I closed the door when we arrived home, the rain started. I remembered to do some interval changes in intensity now that I'm not wearing boots.That should help, too.

Quilting? Tell me scrappy is scrappy. I just unsewed part of the Sunny Lanes because a tan square was next to a yellow one. I can't be doing that or I'll never get done. I managed to make way too many four patches. Grr. I already have a quilt in mind for them, though no use for it. Something will come up - church bazaar? a fundraiser? unwed mothers? hospital donation? Who knows?

March 20 OA book says, "The program works for everyone who wants and expects it to." Could it be I wasn't expecting to reach a goal weight is why I've been stalled for so long? Though for today, for sure.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM

I have found the less sweets I eat the less I seem to need. If I can stay off my sweets for a week or 2 I can only eat the occasional treat instead of several a day. Chocolate is my major problem. I had a little today. It definately isn't included in my Womens world diet. WOOPS! I just ate a little and tomorrow is my final weigh in for the Womens World diet. It looks like I am going to lose 8 pounds in a week.
    I am leaving on my quilting retreat tomorrow. I could have gone in to work since I get off at 3:00 but I decided I needed a day off so I took one. I am going to my 2 favorite LQS first thing in the morning. THen I have a massage scheduled. Then off to the quilt retreat. I promised myself a massage when I hit 40 pounds lost and I made that goal on Monday. I have never had a massage, I hope I like it. I can't wait until the retreat I am signed up for a class to make a Ricky Tims convergence quilt and a twisted pinwheel re-turned.