Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM

yes, my husband and i started dating when i was 16 - he was 22 and just back from korea & finishing 12th grade b/c his marine unit was called up when he was in 11th grade. he dies just short of our 45th anniversary. still miss him. my mom & dad divorced and i was determined to not let that happen. my dd's husband has 5 siblings - all of which have been divorced and remarried - she & her hubby are the only ones still married for i think 25 or 26 years now.
    Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM

We also met just after he was back from Korea.I'd be lost without him, but we know it will happen to us all....sooner or later.So treat each other good....& you'll have no regrets.

Originally Posted by misseva
    yes, my husband and i started dating when i was 16 - he was 22 and just back from korea & finishing 12th grade b/c his marine unit was called up when he was in 11th grade. he dies just short of our 45th anniversary. still miss him. my mom & dad divorced and i was determined to not let that happen. my dd's husband has 5 siblings - all of which have been divorced and remarried - she & her hubby are the only ones still married for i think 25 or 26 years now.
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM

What a nice kind expression of appreciation.
    Thank you,
    Life is a road that you take never knowing what is ahead. We have to rely on God and His wisdom.
    I have been married 33+ years after knowing my husband for only 8 weeks prior to marriage.
    We have survived a surgical residency, adopting 2 children, one of which is autistic, but high functioning, and a traumatic brain injury to him from an auto accident 19 years ago, and a house fire....easy...hardly but blessed by God, friends and family. Scripture says God will never give us more than we can bear...I have to believe that to be Truth and have faith He is always there no matter what.
    God Bless each couple represented on this board.
    Susan
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Some really fantastic stories here!! I have been married for 44 years, with all the trimmings. I met my biological father about 9 years ago and found out he is on his 8th wife. He will be 85 in November. My mother was his first wife. His latest wife is 2 years younger than me! Go figure. I just thank the Lord he didn't raise me, and that my mom and step dad who have been married 58 years did. What a great example he has been to his other children.
    Luv my Man, even tho he has put on a few pounds, and his hair is a little grayer, he still adores me and for that I am thankful!
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
    Some really fantastic stories here!! I have been married for 44 years, with all the trimmings. I met my biological father about 9 years ago and found out he is on his 8th wife. He will be 85 in November. My mother was his first wife. His latest wife is 2 years younger than me! Go figure. I just thank the Lord he didn't raise me, and that my mom and step dad who have been married 58 years did. What a great example he has been to his other children.
    Luv my Man, even tho he has put on a few pounds, and his hair is a little grayer, he still adores me and for that I am thankful!
    Don't you think as our sweeties get older and a littler grayer, they are more handsome?? Congrats on your 44 years. We're 50.
    Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

Oh yeah!!! He was way to scrawny when we got married, and I guess it is a good testament to my cooking....although I have to cut back a lot the last couple of years!!. He looks like the actor who played the captain on the original Titanic movie. Congrats to you also...!!!
    Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM

What a wonderful story! You are indeed lucky that your mother got a good man the second time around and that he must have been a good father to you. And congratulations on your 44 years.

Originally Posted by trisha
    Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
    Banned

You are very welcome, I just had my 28th, and it is work and some days you give a 110% and hubby gives nothing, and on those days you just ask the good Lord to give you strength to get threw the day. I wish all of you many years of happiness in your marriage. and may God bless each and every day. Penny
    Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by no1jan
    We celebrated our 38th Anniversary in the beginning of August. We met on June 17, 1972 and were married on August 7th the same year! I was only 18.

Everyone said it wouldn't last. The sad part is of all the brothers, sisters, inlaws and cousins, only one other couple besides us are still married to each other. A few are on their 3rd and 4th marriages.

I have a very difficult time understanding how a person can just walk away from a marriage unless there is physical or mental abuse! It is their business, not mine.
    Jan we were married on the same day ten years apart. God bless.
    I wish everyone the marriage my husband and I enjoy! I can't imagine my life without him. He is still loving, fun, supportive, and my very best friend.

I am sorry to hear that your husband passed, Sadiemae! I couldn't imagine how lost you must feel! My thoughts and prayers are with you and remember even if he isn't physically with you now, he still is spiritially. Hugs!

To the newlyweds, I wish you all a very long and happy marriage. Yes it is possible!!!
    :) :) :)
    Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 AM
    Fox

42 years married here! His work takes him away from home (14 months so far this time) So in an odd way it's only been probably 37 years. We email, talk on the phone, send pictures, etc.. I'd say it's communication that keeps everything moving...not always smoothly, but still moving. One thing about it is that its never been dull!