Girl Scout Cookies

Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM

I don't understand how the prices can be different if they are all GirlScout cookies?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM

A box of GS cookies are $3.50 in Iowa.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM

I paid $3.50 per box when I bought them from my granddaughter here in Iowa.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I'd pay anything for their Thin Mints :D:D:D
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM

They are $3.50 here in Iowa. What bothers me about this (gs cookies, magazine sales, etc) is why is it most of the time the parents end up taking these things around to family and work, but the kids never sell any of it. I do understand that most of the time, these things are fundraisers for programs or trips, but what are we teaching the children with it? My rule has always been... I'll buy, but only if I get the speech from the child. Not if its a parent just passing it around at work. I remember walking around the neighborhood as a child and selling magazines. I met a lot of people and it doesn't bother me to talk to people I don't know, is it because I went door to door or is it just my personality??? (I'm not saying door to door is the answer, I realize it isn't as safe for children as it was for me as a kid.)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

LOL, me too, they are my favorite!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM

The last time the Girl Scout tried to sell me cookies, they were $7.50, needless to say, I didn't buy any. That's highway robbery.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

My problem is.......when I sold them they were only .50 cents a box!!!!! LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
They are $3.50 here in Iowa. What bothers me about this (gs cookies, magazine sales, etc) is why is it most of the time the parents end up taking these things around to family and work, but the kids never sell any of it. I do understand that most of the time, these things are fundraisers for programs or trips, but what are we teaching the children with it? My rule has always been... I'll buy, but only if I get the speech from the child. Not if its a parent just passing it around at work. I remember walking around the neighborhood as a child and selling magazines. I met a lot of people and it doesn't bother me to talk to people I don't know, is it because I went door to door or is it just my personality??? (I'm not saying door to door is the answer, I realize it isn't as safe for children as it was for me as a kid.)
AND TO ADD TO THIS....PARENTS SEND A MESSAGE OUT THROU THEIR EMAIL....SORRY I WILL NOT BUY...I AGREE I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO DO THE WORK IF IT IS A FUND RAISER...Come from the old school I guess !
Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Most of the time they no longer go around with the pre-order form, they just get the # of boxes of cookies they have set as their goal (or some portion thereof) and try to sell them, plus they do the 'sale' at Wal-Mart or wherever where they do the sale to whoever walks by.

All proceeds beyond the actual cost of the cookies at wholesale goes to the troop, incentives to reward the girls, operating expenses for the council, leader training, camps, etc. It really is all geared to provide a good program for the girls.

Each council chooses which cookies they will sell, which incentives they will use (my daughter got a free week at camp several years in a row back when she did it) and how much they are going to charge per box.