Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you know that all the newer sewing machines are set for ? >

Did you know that all the newer sewing machines are set for ?

Did you know that all the newer sewing machines are set for ?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
It's one of the discussions that will probably never end ... everyone has their own thoughts and reasons as to which is right.

And I've come to believe ... they are all right!
Agree 100% ... all right for their own reasons. It ranks with pre-washing, the best way to do flying geese, the best kind of batting to use, etc. etc. etc.

My two cents about poly thread ... almost always used them for garment making, and when I started quilting I had lots of problems with thread breaking and tension issues. When I switched to 100% cotton problems diseappeared. So my experience is just the opposite as the person who has problems with cotton!! It's HIGHLY possible that whatever rookie thing I was doing wrong in the beginning was "fixed" at the same time I switched to cotton and the thread has nothing to do with the problem. Who knows, and because I've now got $$ invested in cotton might as well remain where I am.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Well I much prefer the way cotton thread looks, feels and acts and actually use 12 wt for quilting and 30 or 40 wt for piecing, both 100% cotton (don't do too much traditional piecing these days).

I have a 22 year old Viking that could care less what I use for thread, but my 8 year old Bernina needs a rather frequent attitude adjustment to her tension because of the heavier cotton threads I use. :lol: The lint issue does not bother me; it's easy to clean out and I do it often.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
It's one of the discussions that will probably never end ... everyone has their own thoughts and reasons as to which is right.

And I've come to believe ... they are all right!
I agree...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the tip! :)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM

I sew with whatever i have. I match the needle to the thread weight and have no problems other than "user error". i did find this info that some may find useful:

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/blsuperior.htm
Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM

I have found that some sewing machines don't "Like" some threads that other machines don't have a problem with. Think everyone has to try what they like and remember if you machine doesn't like it, it may just be that brand, not all cotton thread. My Viking doesn't like King Tut but all other treads that I have tried are fine.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

I was wondering, since I prewash my fabric,is it the cotton thread that after washing the quilt shrinks and puckers the quilt?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I was wondering, since I prewash my fabric,is it the cotton thread that after washing the quilt shrinks and puckers the quilt?
If you are also using a cotton batting I would probably blame it on the batting not the thread. I am sure the thread shrinks but not near as much as any batting with cotton in it!

I pick thread by the color not the contents! lol I know I am horrible!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Interesting. My Viking Platinum defaults to a 'tight woven' fabric. I've only had to change this the last day or so when I got a piece of thread stuck somewhere in the threading slots. Then I went to 'medium woven' to deal with the intersecting seams not breaking my thread. I think I've finally gotten out the piece of thread. Machine is about 5-6 years old. And I love it. That said, I use whatever thread I have. I currently have a kitty litter bucket full of thread that is of questionable age but is working just fine. I also use cheap serger cone thread from Joann's for piecing. I hand quilt so for that I do use 100% cotton 'hand quilting' thread but that's the only time I'm picky. Have yet to have an issue with any type of thread either in the machine or holding up with wear.