Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much >
  • How much

• How much

Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM

The one mistake that I made when buying stash was purchasing too many focus fabrics and not nearly enough of the quieter blender type fabrics (tone on tone, mottled or marbled). As a result, I had a lot of fabrics that were very pretty or interesting but didn't go with anything. I also bought too many dark or intense colours and very few lights with no plan for their use. I ended up with a lot of fabric but less would have worked if I had known exactly what to buy. I'd advise only buying that wow fabric when you have a specific quilt and yardage requirements in place. For your stash I'd buy mottly or marbled or small print fabric (1 yard cuts)in all the colours plus some tone on tone cream, white and black for backgrounds. Buy the wow as needed and pull the co-ordinating fabrics and background from your stash.
    Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    The one mistake that I made when buying stash was purchasing too many focus fabrics and not nearly enough of the quieter blender type fabrics (tone on tone, mottled or marbled). As a result, I had a lot of fabrics that were very pretty or interesting but didn't go with anything. I also bought too many dark or intense colours and very few lights with no plan for their use. I ended up with a lot of fabric but less would have worked if I had known exactly what to buy. I'd advise only buying that wow fabric when you have a specific quilt and yardage requirements in place. For your stash I'd buy mottly or marbled or small print fabric (1 yard cuts)in all the colours plus some tone on tone cream, white and black for backgrounds. Buy the wow as needed and pull the co-ordinating fabrics and background from your stash.
    This is exactly what I would do now. However, I didn't do it when I first started quilting and now I have many fabrics that are pretty but nothing goes with them. Shelbie gave you good advice.
    Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM

My fabric buying habits have changed drastically as the price has risen and my income has not.
    Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 AM

Me Too!!!! Now I'm running out for boring fabrics to go with them...I have a problem with buying just plain boring fabric....even today...I go out just to buy plain with my coupons but always return with that exciting print
    Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 AM

I usually only purchase for a project I have in mind. At that time, I purchase 1 yd more than I need so if I make a mistake, I have extras. If I do not make a mistake, then I now have stash for another day. As I do a project, sometimes I feel the quilt is missing something and I go to my stash to find a fill in. :)
    Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

If I really like it I buy 3 yards.
    Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Amen to this! I loooove novelty fabrics but never have anything plain-ish to go with them. Recently, I have been focusing and buying mostly plain, mottled, batiks, etc so I can actually use all my other fabrics.

As long as you like it thought...buy it...you'll find a use for it!
    Old 07-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Its nice to know I'm not alone. I have so much fabric that sits idle. I'm a sucker for sale fabrics, end of bolt etc. I NEED blenders!
    Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by hsweany
    I have read several posts about stashes and buying fabric. When you find a fabric you like how much do you buy? I want to build a stash but I am not sure how much is enough in a piece. Thanks
    ....my approach is to buy 1/2 a yard when I'm just drawn to particular fabric....and when I'm REALLY drawn, a full yard. There is no real rule to building up stash. Some say always at least a yard - but my finances just will not allow a full yard of fabric when I see about 20 bolts I just love!!! At least 1/2 a yard will give you 2 FQs....!
    Old 07-04-2011, 05:54 AM

I buy at least 2 to 3 yards. {3 yards is better}.