how much do you tip

Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by erstan947
I like to tip I'm sure for the wrong reasons.....I want to be remembered and the hairdresser be willing to go the extra efforts (like fit me in on a busy day) for a "good" customer. Like I said.....for the wrong reasons:)
Those are not wrong reasons.

I gotta say that I'd be pretty leery of returning to someone's chair if I stiffed her the previous time.

Just saying. ;-)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 AM

I trim my own hair. But, when I get my nails done, I tip based on how well they did. Usually, I tip around $10. However, the last time I went, I took my SIL for her birthday and the manicurists both did shoddy work. I left $5 for them to split and I shouldn't have done that.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 AM

Usually 20%. I have my hair cut at one of the chain shops and for seniors it's about $12 so I leave $15. Low end shops here charge about $25 - 30 for haircuts and prices go up according to the shop and I get the same cut at the chair shop.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

I always leave 20% of the total bill.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
I usually cut my own hair but several times yearly I have it cut at a beauty salon. I leave a tip of $2 for a cut and $5 for a perm. When I had mine cut yesterday, I left the $2 but noticed that the man paying his bill for a haircut left $5.00. Just wondering what you leave. Am I too cheap? I realize different areas of the country leave different amts also.
My DIL has trick she uses for tips she looks at the tax rounds it up then doubles it and thats what she leaves as a tip! so say the tax was $3.52 you go $4 x 2=$8
8-)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 AM

We don't tip our hair dresser regularly, but at Christmas time we usually give her a bonus of $50, that translates to about $5.00 per haircut, and she actually appreciates it at the end of the year. She's been cutting dh's hair for 30 years, and mine for 10 now. When she retires, we are in real trouble!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM

I have never understood the whole tiping concept we dont give tips to the cashier or the grocery stocker why because they get paid a wage so why give tips to others when they get paid a wage too? I am on a very small budget and am lucky to get my hair cut once a year and I dont leave a tip they are already charging me 18 for the cut if they wanted more then that they should charge more this may make me sound like a scrooge but my money is precious to me and every little bit counts!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Wow where are all these cheap haircuts? I live in Ca and getting a haircut is not that cheap. I think less than 20% is not enough......it is nice to be appreciated for the extra mile that some of them go. I have a young gal who is raising a child and struggling to make ends meet I usually pay $65 to get highlights. I tip what my heart tells me usually and if I have extra I tip big. It always comes back in spades to be kind to others. ONe day I knew she needed help and I tipped her a 20.. because that extra is what I would have had to pay in another shop and she needed it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 AM

I have a question about tipping...why is it necessary? I worked in retail for over forty years, and there was never a tip for my customer service, even when it required heavy lifting. Isn't customer service the same no matter what business you work in, whether retail, hairdressing, restaurant, or hospitality? Everybody agrees to do their job for a specified wage, and hopefully to do their best at the job they signed on for. Do you tip the clerk who cuts your fabric? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store? So...why your hairdresser or waitress?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I always leave 20% of the total bill.
Me too. With extra at the last cut before Christmas. I've tried the chain salons, and always get a crappy cut. Finally found someone that does a good cut every time. Costs me $33.00 every six to seven weeks. This is my one extravagance.