Menopause relief

Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Girls, I read the recent posts on menopause help. I realize that not every treatment will work for everyone, and that we must check with our doctors to make sure any treatment isn't contraindicated for us. After reading a bunch and trying several supplements (all expensive), I began using this formula: 8 oz soy milk twice a day and 1 black cohosh (135/40mg) capsule once a day. I'm not fond of soy milk, so I use chocolate soy milk mixed with equal parts of regular milk. After 2 weeks, the hot flashes have all but disappeared and are very mild, "body fluids" have returned to pre-menopause days, and I can sleep! When I am tempted to skip the soy milk, I remember those nasty hot flashes and drink up! Hope this helps someone.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Good to know-I am despirate to try anything!! Was on HRT, but just ended up with blood clots in the lungs, so I can't take it any more - going to get some today!! I'll bookmark this post so I can report back if this helped me. Before HRT, I tried everything and nothing made a difference! This sounds like a less-expensive alternative - and I LIKE soy milk (in my coffee, anyway-don't like it in my tea or to just drink). Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM

I'm in , I will get some too. Is there a particular type to get.I tried some of the over the counter stuff. Seemed to work for quite awhile , now I getting the hot flashed back . Can't stand it. Put makeup on and it ends up running off.
I have a old boxer doggie too!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Just as a warning... soy has its own issues. It really wasnt meant for consumption (except when in the fermented form, think soy sauce). I have read many things about problems with thyroids after consuming Soy for periods of time. So.. while I am happy for the relief you are getting, just be sure to educate yourself about soy. :)
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Just another item about soy...... I recently went on a soy free diet for a liver detox program (no not from alcohol). You will be amazed at the number of items that have soy in it. Hansen's water flavor additive from Bashas' has soy, my coffee substitute Pero and of all things some make-up has soy in it and many other things. So check out your labels.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM

I have tried I-Cool and swear by it. It has gotten expensive so switched to a less expensive brand with Soy and find it not as effective.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 AM

You would think with all the hot flashes I get, I would weigh about 100 lbs,lol......Michele What is I-Cool?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM

When I was going through menopause I was on HRT for a couple of months, but felt terrible! I immediately quit it. Then I used the over the counter herbal remedies you can get in the vitamin aisle. It worked great....I still got a few hot flashes, but much less intense and far fewer. I wouldn't be looking for a "cure" of this, ladies, just a way to minimize the symptoms. There is no "cure" for menopause...we all have to go through it. It goes away after a while...just hike up your big girl panties & deal with it!!

:-)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
When I was going through menopause I was on HRT for a couple of months, but felt terrible! I immediately quit it. Then I used the over the counter herbal remedies you can get in the vitamin aisle. It worked great....I still got a few hot flashes, but much less intense and far fewer. I wouldn't be looking for a "cure" of this, ladies, just a way to minimize the symptoms. There is no "cure" for menopause...we all have to go through it. It goes away after a while...just hike up your big girl panties & deal with it!!

:-)
I'm hiking up my big girl panties and dealing with it!! But it has been 12 years since I started going thru this and I'm still at it. Getting old. My doc says I started menopause early so will end late. All part of being a girl! :)
Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 PM

I take a soy suppliment in pill form from WalMart. I get it in the pharmacy section (Healthy Woman).