Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Menopause anyone???

I need help...anyone going through this? Night sweats have slowed down somw but the rollercaoster ride is no fun! I just thought PMS was bad! I don't want to take hormones but feel like I might have too..I am having panic attacks more and more..I can be in a store enjoying myself then all of a sudden I feel flushed then I panic and have to leave...Has anyone experenced this??? I don't like this!! :cry:

no panic attacks but I can't stand roller coasters anymore (height issue) and 3 ft. waves on the boat never bothered me but they do now. Hey I guess they are panic attacks. So yes I do get them. :x

That is what is happening to me too!...Vertigo real bad.. dizziness..Can't sit in balcony at church at all anymore...It is horrible..I think when I start feeling dizzy is when I start to panic..even cars passing by when I am sitting a red light can throw me off..Right now my eaqrs are burning...and my skin feels like ants are biteing me all the time

I just hope it gets better. SOmeone told me about some herb but I can't remember the name of it to save my life, that helps with this stuff.

A health food store will be able to help you with the herb. My girlfriend takes soy.

As for the symptoms -- one not mentioned but that I had was paranoia!!! And I started hearing people talking behind me who were NOT there!!!!!! OMG, i thought I was going to be admitted to an insane asylum!!

Now - the OTHER side of menopause:

1) don't have to shave the legs as often, but you have to shave your face more often!

2) The heat bill goes down........but the A/C bill goes up!

My Gyn recommended Black Cohosh (the brand she recommended is called Remifemin and I get it at the big-box grocery store by the vitamins and other supplements). I didn't have all the other symptoms but I was having killer night sweats and hot flashes. Within a couple weeks I felt a lot better. The sweats didn't go away completely but they're not as bad now and at least I can get a better night's sleep.

Oh the joys of being a maturing woman. I tried going without help. Didn't do so well. I finally went back on Estrodiol. (not sure of the speeling) Very low dose of Estrogen. Still get a little hot flash now and then, but the emotional roller coaster is over. Talk to your doctor. He/She can give you some different recommendations. It's worth the visit. Hang in there. (((((HUGS)))))

Thanks everyone for your support! I know this too will pass..Just talking longer then I thought!

I have had all of the above symptoms. Mine got less bothersome over time, but the biggest difference I noticed was when I got off sugar and loss 50 pounds just since February. I don't have near the hot flashes or any of the other crap. The panic attacks have completely disappeared now. I can't take hormones or anything due to other health issues so I have just had to suffer all these years. Good Luck

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've heard the pattern follows one's mother. My mother, her mother, and both her sisters had hysterectomies. So...I have nothing to go by.

The issue I'm having is suddenly (okay the last two years) nothing is on schedule, if you know what I mean. If I tell the doc it's coming every two weeks... then they want to do a uterine biopsy every two years at least. But, I know irregular is normal... and just how long does this stage last? Every six months would be nice. :D

I've had three hot flashes, I think. They were about 8 months apart. :lol: Oh, I'd hate to have them every day.

Nothing emotional is going on... still steady. Thank goodness... or my students would suffer. :wink:

The hormone replacement therapies out there have new lower dosages and are a lot safer now than they were a few years ago. There is a new one made specifically to help with your symptoms. I suggest you talk to your dr and follow his or her advice. When talking as adviced, hormone replacemnt is not as bad as advertised. At least you will get your life back.

Maria

I am giving it till after Christmas that will be time for my yearly check up. If not better then I will ask to be put on something..I am tired of this...

Blog Entries
    The joys of maturing??? Yep - having a regular laughapalooza over here.

Achne at 51 (lovely) and turning into the bearded lady. Unfortunately my legs are still hanging in there with the weeds as well. Kinda sexy if you like the Mrs Bigfoot look.

Add sneeze and pee ( a new game) and CRS - can't remember Sh** (another new game).

Whimpy bouts of crying for no reason (so not me) and the sleep disruption coupled with monsoon-strength sweat pouring.

Go to the health food store - they do have a variety of product that help. I keep a perscription of low-dose Valium for the anxiety attacks. Don't have to take them often, but I am always glad when they are there.

When I went thru it, it was pure @#$*! I didn't take it well at all.

I was parinoid as all get out, and lashed out at everyone and everything. I couldn't take soy and the hormones didn't help at all. Thank goodness that's over with.

Good luck to all of you going tru it, I hope you don't have the problems I had.

But look on the bright side...no more monthly visitor!! :D

Banned
    My wife is 13 years older than I am (yes she was a "Cougar" LOL) but she and I have a real strong marriage and this was never a problem with us. We never argued and fussed during this time and I understood she was going through a huge change. I just did what ever it took to make her comfortable and happy.

But from a guys point of view it really sucked when my wife went through the change. I didn't know what to wear from one day to the next with her. :lol: My utility bill was through the roof for about 3 years and even though she is finished as such she still has a hot flash every once in a while.

Billy

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've spent the first 40 years of my life freezing to death. Hot flashes may not be so bad. The rest does not sound like fun. Especially the part about following your mother's pattern. She didn't bother to do the stopping part until she was 56!!!!!!!!

I hated going through it, but it was harder on my kids than me. The night sweats were bad and the hot flashes were no fun, but the worse thing for me was the mood swings. I was horrible to live with. I didn't like myself. My doctor put me on low dose birth control for two years. It worked wonders. By the time I went off it I was back to normal and all was well. My kids call that pill the wonder pill because it made me sane again.

What is working for me is Estroven PM. Had been on very low dose of HRT, through a patch, but, alas, got the breast cancer anyway. Both the breast surgeon and oncologist say the Estroven PM is safe and it has really helped, especially with the sleeping, which has been a problem since menopause. Not perfect but better.

Like Littlehud, my doc put me on low dosage birth control pills. I wasn't on them too long and they were a great relief. Prior to getting on meds, can you say "mood swing", it was awful. I didn't have sweats but I did have HOT (like burning up) feet in the middle of the night. And there was absolutely no rhyme or reason to when that monthly visitor came----no schedule at all. Monthy became every two weeks sometimes. The "pill" were a life saver. I finally felt like I was under control again.

Thanks for the heads up! I am past it, but did have all the crazies. Only had one Hot Flash with all the emotion when I took some new cholesterol medicine, and I am off that medicine!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For those who went on the pill to regulate...how did you know when to go off?

I have to tell you, it will get easier, it just takes time. It has been about 4 years now for me, and I still have a flash about 8 times a day. And I am still hot all the time, but it has gotten better. The not sleeping is what has gotten to me, going to sleep, only to wake up an hour later , and be up from then on. And DH swears that it snows in our bedroom, summer and winter. He has been great though. I still cry for no reason sometimes, but that is also getting better, and I am able to go out shopping without wanting to kill the check-our girl :lol: :lol: All I can say is, "This too shall pass". I have gone through with out taking anything. I had an Aunt and 2 friends who took the hormones, and they all had breast cancer, so i was terrified of taking anything, and now that it is about over, so glad I didn't.

several ladies that work with my daughter at county clerk...are doing acupuncture and they say its great for all the symptoms...not as expensive as medical Dr either

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diannemc
    Thanks everyone for your support! I know this too will pass..Just talking longer then I thought!
    I've "pausing" for about 25 years. I think I'm finally over the hot flashes. At least for this week. I've been cold lately. DH wants to know what's wrong with me. So do I :?: :?: :?:

I'm done finally. I found that taking B complex stress formula by Sundown vitamins and chewing a lot of ice helped me. I kept ice water with me at all times during that time and it helped a lot. Ran a fan at night even in the winter. I couldn't take the HRT so had to do what I could.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast