Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would do? >

What would do?

What would do?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM

I might do it if she would agree to pick off the existing bindging, That will cool her off, maybe, too much work!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Since the size had not even been discussed, you made the quilt. She has not come directly out and asked to extend it. I would leave it at that. If she does come out and ask..she would need to give you more fabric ...or...as previously mentioned, putting a spread on the bed before the quilt is beautiful. I believe your friendship will always be there, but, I think your friend is expecting a little too much from your genorosity
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Unless & until she says directly that she wants a bigger quilt, I wouldn't do or say anything to her about it.
And if she's truly a friend she will know that size wasn't discussed & not press you to do anything.
You did this from the heart for her & don't owe her anything else.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Reply that you used the amount of fabric she gave you.
Say you would have been glad to use more fabric, to
make it larger, had she mentioned it. But you worked
with what she had given you. I wouldn't do any more
"freebies" for this person.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM

In spite of the fact that this is a long time friend, I agree with EmilieLaFave, no size was discussed to make it, you used all the fabrics she sent you, including using some of your stash, and the only thing she's paid for, is the long arm quilting.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Gads, what a quandry.

1] You did what she asked and even more. You PAID for it to be quilted!!!

2] She doesn't seem to understand what all is involved. Like maybe only a few minutes and pennies. Is she aware of all the time and effort you have put into this already???

3] She has options:
- put a undercover spread or drape under the quilt top
- use it somewhere else
- hang it on a wall or drape it

4] I know she is a friend ..... but .... you are worth more than just doing her bidding to satisfy something she doesn't really need. IF she wants to reimburse you for the quilting and the rest of the work, then by all means do more. Be upfront and discuss this with her non-confrontationally but factually.

5] Friends don't really take advantage of each other in an unequal fashion. If she has done a whole lot for you .... more than just listening ... and you feel right about doing more ... then do it with the understanding that it is a gift of love from you to her.

Tough call.

I have made quilts for friends and have to remind myself they were gifts to be used as they saw fit more than once. I have never regretted what I have done with these quilts. Luckily none of them have become pet beds .... yet.

ali
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Make the coffee, invite your friend over and talk over the possibilities.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

My first reaction was not very lady-like.

Does this other person have a CLUE as to what's involved?
You could go into a monolog about everything you did to make it and how long it took and what you added AND the cost of the LA quilting.

Do you see her very often? Do you WANT to see her very often?

Is it big enough to use as a couch quilt or a bed topper?

If you used all the fabric she sent you - that to me implies that's as large as she expected it to be.

If size wasn't mentioned at the beginning of this deal, then I think these people should be grateful.

But - as someone else mentioned - they just may be very ignorant about what's involved with what you did and what they want.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM

gee, if you've been tight friends forever just say outright you didnt hear any mention of size and only made it the size it turned out due to the size of the blocks and finish fabric supplied, and you added some fabric to it to boot. (and really, if you were just working with what was supplied it came out the way it came out! My MIL sewed for people, they took terrible advantage of her, she was a wonderful seamstress. They would expect her to buy sewing thread, embroydery thread, and extra fabric to do their requests - and they seldom paid her.)

let her know you'll help enlarge it. If you try to just ignore this you'll end up really feeling bad at yourself for not being honest. a size difference in a quilt is not the end of the world and can be fixed. sharet
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Make the coffee, invite your friend over and talk over the possibilities.
This is a good place to start. You need to tell your friend what kind of work/ time/ expense would be involved to add on to the quilt. Suggest that she could help by removing the binding, and you would be willing to add another border with the fabric she provides. It's called friendship, and you are meeting her half way. Good luck.