Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stuck in a slump >
  • Stuck in a slump

• Stuck in a slump

Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM

I'm in the same slump. After I bond two quilts, I got all the material washed for my new project. The material is still sitting there waiting to be cut. It's been over a month. Quilting for me is like a bipolar condition. I have my manic phases where all I do is sew, sew, sew then there are the lull phases of why can't I get motivated. Sometimes you just got to force yourself to do it and then the excitement of finishing the first block and then finishing the top comes.
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 AM

It will pass - we all experience it along the way - I usually get it after Christmas - you are here and still looking and reading - you will get back to it when you are ready.
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM

May you could try something else that is small and easy to get beck into a sewing frame of mind. If it doesn't work you're not out much, and you didn't ruin the big fabric. (Place mat, mug rug, small wall hanging, anything like that.)
    Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Gads, I feel for you.

When that happens to me I stop sewing/quilting. I start going through my magazines and books looking for something that I really like. Then I actually RE-WRITE the directions so that I have it all together the way I want it. That usually jump starts me.

ali
    Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    May you could try something else that is small and easy to get beck into a sewing frame of mind. If it doesn't work you're not out much, and you didn't ruin the big fabric. (Place mat, mug rug, small wall hanging, anything like that.)
    I was going to suggest the above. Or make something specifically to give away to a charity. A small lap quilt for a nursing home or a small child's quilt for your local hospital. The birthing method works fantastic for these which makes them extra quick.

When faced with something that is causing me stress (or a slump) I set that aside and do something different for a while. Next thing you know that time will pass! Good Luck.
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 PM

This morning I was telling my dh that I am thinking of just selling everything in my sewing room and just be done with it! Instead of agreeing with my weak pity party moment, he just said "come winter you will have more time to sew". Tonite just walking thru my sewing room I found myself FM on a baby quilt, done and ready for binding. WOW, what a difference in a day!
    Hang in there!
    Old 09-04-2011, 04:10 AM

wow! I thought I was the only one, and mine has been for a cou;ple of weeks! I just started on something yesterday, so maybe I am out of the slump! got so much to do, and holidays coming up! Wanted so much to do things for the holidays.
    Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 AM
    Power Poster

I was in a slump big time too. My old Elna DIED. I couldn't find a replacement that I loved. Finally found my way back. I found a Singer 401 and restored it. I love it. AND I found another used Elna. Vintage is so much happier.
    Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 AM

I am making a pinwheel quilt and I cut some of my squares too large... now I have to trim trim trim. Also, I did not get enough of the white... back to JoAnns I have to go... I also need to pick out fabric to use for stashing and side panels. Wow is me... lol Pick a pattern, pick up your scissors/rotary cutter, and proceed. Mistakes are for creating your own unique pattern. Go girl!!!
    Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 AM

I've been there too :-( :-( . I'm finally crawling out of mine. I started going to a stitch group and getting involved in making charity quilts. I didn't have to agonize about fabric choices or patterns or colors....just sewed.