Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotary cutting blades >

rotary cutting blades

rotary cutting blades

Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
QKO

Welcome to QB, from western Nevada! We've found that buying quality blades goes a long way to keeping satisfied with your cutting ability. You can buy all kinds of cheap blades and change them often, or you can buy quality blades that stay sharp and change them very infrequently.

We use 60mm Martelli blades and Martelli Ergo cutters. Even with shop cutting, which means lots and lots of repetitive full WOF cuts, our blades stay ultra-sharp for an average of 6 months to a year each, and that's a lot of cutting miles.

If you add up the "mileage" you get out of premium blades like the Martelli, you'll probably find out that they're cheaper than the cheap blades when all is said and done.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I have not had any luck using sharpeners (and I could buy a lot of blades with the money I have spent on sharpeners). You might want to check out the carpet blades at Harbor Freight. A lot of folks here swear by them and they are really cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html
Thanks for the information, I will make a trip there,
and hd will come.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Welcome to QB, from western Nevada! We've found that buying quality blades goes a long way to keeping satisfied with your cutting ability. You can buy all kinds of cheap blades and change them often, or you can buy quality blades that stay sharp and change them very infrequently.

We use 60mm Martelli blades and Martelli Ergo cutters. Even with shop cutting, which means lots and lots of repetitive full WOF cuts, our blades stay ultra-sharp for an average of 6 months to a year each, and that's a lot of cutting miles.

If you add up the "mileage" you get out of premium blades like the Martelli, you'll probably find out that they're cheaper than the cheap blades when all is said and done.
This is my experience. My Martelli blades last many many times longer with multitudes of cutting than any "cheap" Blade
Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Although I would have never "thunk" it possible, I read somewhere to flip the blade over....heck! I remember now! People were talking about the Harbor Freight blades and if you get one that skips, etc. try turning it over. Soooo, I decided to try it on my 60mm Olfa and it worked! I am sure it is only temporary, but at least it's cutting with ease at the moment...if it doesn't work, you aren't out anything by just trying it :)

P.S. I tried 3 Harbor Freight blades (new and flipped) and they all were horrid for me- I pitched them!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I'll stick with my Harbor Freight blades. At 2 for 1.49, I will not fret about tossing it out and putting a new one in.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Thank you for all your responses! I have come to the right place. Mary
Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by sherian
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I have not had any luck using sharpeners (and I could buy a lot of blades with the money I have spent on sharpeners). You might want to check out the carpet blades at Harbor Freight. A lot of folks here swear by them and they are really cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html
Thanks for the information, I will make a trip there,
and hd will come.
I know alot of quilters using the carpet cutter blades from Harbor Freight and they are lasting just as long as almost all of the other blades I can get 2 blades for two dollars and use them for about two weeks of cutting sometimes three so I am getting six weeks of cutting for two dollars I dont get that much time from my Martelli blades
Old 10-01-2011, 07:49 PM

I bought the sharpener, but it doesen't work like i expected.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by maryriceot
HI
Can rotary cutting blades be turned over and used again after one side wears out?
Thanks. I am starting a small home business and will be doing a lot of cutting. I have arthritic thumbs so the rotary cutters are a godsend.
Mary
If you are going to be going through many blades, you can get a package of 2 blades for $1.99 ($1.49 on sale) from Harbor Freight. They are in the carpet cutting section, called carpet blades. They fit in a standard 45cm cutter, and are just as sharp. That will save heaps instead of buying brand named blades at a LQS. You can buy them on-line from Harbour freight if there is none near you, but the shipping will be just as expensive as the blades so I would buy up. They might still be on sale for $1.49 per 2/pk. They were last week.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Caswews
I am told that one can get a sharpener for them .. How well they work I have no idea .. Check Sewing With Nancy or maybe Jo-Ann's.
The sharpeners work really well. After sharpening 2-3 more times, I usually retire the blade, they don't work as well, I am all for saving money and try to get as much use out of it as I can. Mark the blade with a Sharpie whenever you sharpen it.