Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified? >
  • Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified?

• Are Some Online Fabric Store Shipping Fees Justified?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Yes, the envelope is "free"(if you provide your own envelope you may be able ship cheaper), but the people employed to address the envelope, cut the fabric, place it in the envelope, adjust the inventory numbers, generate the invoice, process the payment, etc. are probably not volunteers. The other tools they need to do their jobs are also not free. Nor does the free envelope pay the rent, electricity, and numerous taxes a for which business is responsible. Being in business is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. That does not mean some places do not overcharge, but competition should eventually weed out the rotten apples.
    I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I have seen one thing I wanted at a web site, then changed me mind because of costs. I feel your pain. Can't you find something else to add to your order or encourage a friend to order with you?

True, they are not volunteers, but other than put in an envelope, write the address, and add the postage, they do all that other stuff when you buy in person in a store and no one would think of adding an extra fee to cut your fabric, adjust the inventory numbers, etc. Some online sites, just like sellers on ebay, do make a profit from their "shipping and handling fees"
    Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 AM

The cost of doing business is customarily factored into the price of goods, although some people have taken advantage of the potential of extra profit in "shipping and handling charges" ever since mail order became possible.

To set your price of goods at a competitive level then inflate your shipping charges gives you an unmerited advantage over sellers who set their price of goods at a competitive level and do not gouge on shipping.

Sooner or later, the consumer catches on and shops with the sellers who have the best overall prices and service.
    Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM

That is disappointing. I have had the same experience when i try to buy smocking/heirloom patterns. The patterns themselves are expensive $12-14 a piece, then when the shipping is $8-9 on top it just isn't worth it. i can't tell you how many times I have canceled a purchase when i saw what the shipping would be. it's hard because noone in the area sell heirloom patterns anymore. Online is the only way i can find them.
    Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    The picture you used is from eQuilter.com - but when I place an order there for one yard, I am presented with many choices for shipping options - including UPS Ground or Priority Mail for $5.95.

This might confuse people into thinking that it's eQuilter.com that's doing this crazy shipping thing.
    You are absolutely right that picture is from equilter I didn't see the tag on the picture.

Let me make it clear as I can't edit the post it was NOT equilter. I just was using that picture to show the fabric I thought I really really needed. My apologies if this confused anyone. I will be more careful the next time I use a picture to show fabric. I'm red with embarassment.

The subject is still valid as I think even if I had chosen that company. Shipping should be based on true/valid/fair shipping charges IMHO.
    Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Shop at Connecting Threads.com and they do free shipping with $50 order.
    Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM

I found it here: http://www.creativequiltkits.com
    $10.75 per yard and $3.95 USPS to ship to me.
    Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM

This happened to me, too. It's all the fault of those flat rate envelopes!!
    Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM

We charge exactly what the PO charges us, and I am sure most neighborhood quilt shops do. Being in a small business today is tough, you don't do anything that would drive customers away.
    Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
    That is disappointing. I have had the same experience when i try to buy smocking/heirloom patterns. The patterns themselves are expensive $12-14 a piece, then when the shipping is $8-9 on top it just isn't worth it.
    One time I bought an mp3 player on ebay. It actually cost 84cents to mail it and they charged me $8. GRRR!
    Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Yes, the envelope is "free"(if you provide your own envelope you may be able ship cheaper), but the people employed to address the envelope, cut the fabric, place it in the envelope, adjust the inventory numbers, generate the invoice, process the payment, etc. are probably not volunteers. The other tools they need to do their jobs are also not free. Nor does the free envelope pay the rent, electricity, and numerous taxes a for which business is responsible.
    The fees stated above are the costs of doing business. They are built into the price of the fabric the shop charges you. Having a friend who worked at one of the LARGE fabric distributors, I know that the mark up on fabric is 50-60%. Most fabric purchased from a wholsaler is $4-5 a yard.
    I would never buy from a retailer that adds ANYTHING to the cost of a Flat Rate envelope or box. MOST reputable fabric retailers do NOT jack up the cost of mailing.