Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery thread question >

embroidery thread question

embroidery thread question

Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Sewall thread is just that...it's for sewing. Embroidery thread is made to have a sheen. Joannes carries Sulky, but it's rayon and is weak and non-colorfast. It's not my favorite at all and I'm trying to use up what I have to be rid of it. Isacord is wonderful(polyester) but Joannes doesn't carry it.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 AM

I have a Ruby. When making my free standing lace ornaments I'm using some serger thread that I already had. It'll make the lace ornaments stronger. Then there is Rayon which is what I normally use for everything else; I like the shine. I also have some polyester that is meant for embroidery. So far I've used several different brands of rayon and haven't had any problems. The serger thread has a tendancy to break more often but since I've had it forever and it cost a whole lot more and is good for what I'm doing it's worth the effort. It mainly depends on the look you like. For the lace I used the same thread in the bobbin and for everything else I just use bobbin thread and it works really well. Goode luck. I've only had my machine for a month so I'm still learning but these are things that I learnt and they are working.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Isacord is one of the best embroidery threads on the market made in Germany and is 100% polyester Bernina highly recommended for embroidery will not fade. Polyester is the thread for emb.
I would suggest if you are considering Gutermann that you try a few projects before making a big purchase. I don't care for their cotton.
Good Luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM

I love isacord. I buy it from imachinegroup.com and even with shipping the price is better than anywhere else I've found.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I love isacord. I buy it from imachinegroup.com and even with shipping the price is better than anywhere else I've found.
Thanks, I am blown away with their low prices.
I will be placing a order disappointed they don't offer spools of bobbin thread. I don't care for prewound bobbins I use a pigtail bobbin cs. for embroidery