Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wool applique questions >
  • Wool applique questions

• Wool applique questions

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all the helpful hints everyone!
    Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if the wool is over-dyed felted wool- you do not need to re-wash it.
    i have never had any luck with fusables --- so i don't waste them on my wools.
    i just pin-or hold in place to stitch- but i've had lots of practice- a glue stick may work for you-i've just never managed to make them work for me.
    i generally use a chalk marker of somne sort- since it's easy to brush it away.
    i do wash my finished projects- because i make things that get used-and laundered when needed- if you make wall-hangings- items that dont get laundered- then i guess you wouldn't need to wash your project when it's done. i have never had a problem washing/drying a completed wool project-and i've made wool quilts, table runners, candle mats, penny rugs, floor rugs...i work with wool alot...my wool appliqued quilt has been washed a number of time (and dried in the dryer)
    I love your quilt, CKCowl. I am interested to know about the background as well. I would love to do a wool quilt for my bed. However, at Cal King I will need to work up to that level. I appreciate your answers to my questions. I can see that I will have to do some experimenting. I imagine that each wool will react differently to the varied treatments.

I am glad to hear, though, that the wool pieces can be washed if need be.
    Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    Betty, what a beautiful piece! Oh my goodness. Was that your first project or had you done others? I have a ways to go with my stitching! I will go with the Roxanne's. I have a bottle that I thought was too expensive to use on binding (though that is why I bought it) so I will try that.
    Thank you AFQSinc. Actually is was - the DS gave it to me as a Bday present. I had a blast with it and just recently bought a few more patterns for table toppers to play with. All I did was a blanket stitch around the edges. I also used Valdani pearl cotton size 12 instead of embroidery thread thanks to a suggestion from another board member. Loved using it and the result was excellent.
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
    I did this one :

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ne-t26564.html

I used Steam a Seam and was very unhappy with it - it did not hold at all. On my next wool project, I will use a few dabs of Roxannes or some other basting glue.
    be careful when using glues; even Roxannes. It can get hard after a while. That's why I only use glue sticks or elmers glue because I know it'll wash out.
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

sorry to take so long to answer---
    the background on my wool appliqued quilt is a fabulous double sided black flannel from Benartex---i love benartex flannels!
    they are a joy to work on- i also love to do wool applique on flannel- but it is just as nice on regular cottons- homespuns- pieced backgrounds-
    visit shops like:
    Sue Spargo
    Primative Gatherings
    Backyard Gatherings
    the Cotton Patch Quilt Shoppe
    and the Quilted Crow
    for inspiration- tips, advice, and supplies
    there are many more- those are the ones that come to mind- my quilt was a Backyard Gatherings Project.
    Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if the wool is over-dyed felted wool- you do not need to re-wash it.
    i have never had any luck with fusables --- so i don't waste them on my wools.
    i just pin-or hold in place to stitch- but i've had lots of practice- a glue stick may work for you-i've just never managed to make them work for me.
    i generally use a chalk marker of somne sort- since it's easy to brush it away.
    i do wash my finished projects- because i make things that get used-and laundered when needed- if you make wall-hangings- items that dont get laundered- then i guess you wouldn't need to wash your project when it's done. i have never had a problem washing/drying a completed wool project-and i've made wool quilts, table runners, candle mats, penny rugs, floor rugs...i work with wool alot...my wool appliqued quilt has been washed a number of time (and dried in the dryer)
    Thanks so much for your comments and tips - I, too, have some scraps and small(er) pieces of wool I'd like to applique to a wool blanket. VERY helpful!