Armish Novels

Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 AM

They already listed the great Amish authors! If you want books that are laugh out loads Janet Evanovich!!! In fact her 1st movie is out in Jan! She just put out #18!
If you don't mind used books go to www. Paperbackswap.com. You list your old books. When someone requests one you send it to them. Received a credit to buy a book. When you sign up you get so many free credits! They have hardbacks, paperbacks and books on tape.
Enjoy. Reading! I LOVE it!!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Beverly Lewis books on Amish Life are wonderful. I believe you would enjoy these.

If you enjoy mysteries try Susan Witting Albert's - China Bayles series. All about herbs and you can learn a lot along the way.

Happy Reading!!!

Last edited by Murphy; 12-27-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
I was like you...had to much other stuff to do then read...waste of time..But I started with Book one of Elm Creek Series and boy I'm loving them I just finished book 12...I see so far she has written book 19...I don't want them to end. They are Quilting stories and ladies who start a quilting camp...
I love this series, and read from the library. This year I tried collecting for Christmas present for a dear quilting friend.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:48 AM

I love all amish books. Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter are the ones I have read the most. I am reading The Christmas Quilt by Patricia Davids now and it is very good. I have never read her's before. I got it on my Kindle and it was real cheap. I am going to check and she if she has written more.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Sandra Dallas is excellent, start with the persian pickle club.....
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I can't remember the names right off hand but I know that at Barnes and Noble they sell alot of them. You can tell the ones that I'm talking of right away because they have pictures of amish women on the front. I've read several and they are good. I'll try and check later on today on my break and see if I can get an author for you. I love reading. My Nook is my best friend (almost)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis42 View Post
I love this series, and read from the library. This year I tried collecting for Christmas present for a dear quilting friend.
There are about 17 books in this series now. The good thing is that you can find a lot of them at used books stores. She also has a web site that you can actually see the quilts that she talks about in the books called http://elmcreek.net/ Try to read them as they go if you can. I went to B n N and had them to print me out a list that had all of the books and the order they came in.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Go to amazon.com and type in the words amish fiction. You will find all kinds of suggestions. Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter both have some series. I am from Lancaster County, Pa. and although they are fiction, there is so much I can relate to. I can speak Pennsylvania Dutch a bit and you will find some of the words in these books I also lived for about 8 years in Webster County, Missouri and there is an Amish community there as well. I started by reading those series and got hooked. I had friends that are Amish and these books portray their lifestyle accurately. Have fun. Jackie C.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 AM

Barbara Cameron (Quilts of Lancaster County series) Patricia Davids (Brides of Amish County series) Jerry Eicher (Little Valley series)
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 AM

I loved that book! There, again, I cannot sit and read. I have to be doing something with my hands, so I listened to it. Actually, I have the book in audio form. I have listened to it twice now. Also, I have not listened to them yet, but there are three books I have that I will be listening to - by Spencer Quinn - narrated by Jim Frangione "Dog On It" (say it fast - there's humor in the titles), "Thereby Hangs a Tail" and "To Fetch a Thief". These were recommended to me by the same person that recommended "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Loved that story!!!!! Edie