Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Favorite quilt patterns for men >
  • Favorite quilt patterns for men

• Favorite quilt patterns for men

Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 AM

This is an interesting topic. At our charity Bible camp quilt auction I watch the interest and bids on the quilts and find that the masculine quilts get a lot of bidding action. I am not sure if it is because there are fewer of them or because a lot of people have men in their lives that they are shopping for at the auction. I notice that the popular masculine quilts are not necessarily intricate designs. In fact, simplicity seems to be the best. It is the color and theme that make the difference. Last year I donated a tied quilt made from a lodge theme fabric with fishing and animal scenes where I bordered 8 x10 squares in various shades of plain blues, greens, and browns scrap fabric. It went high at the auction. To me it looked ok, but was nothing that great -- something for a dorm room or "man cave" in my opinion.

Dayle
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by txstitcher
    I love the simplicity, yet patterned, look to that one.
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM

I made my husband a quilt using Sweet and Simple by Lavender Lime. It show cased his college team and went together quickly. He love's it. You just use three fabrics and there are 3 different layouts.
    Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. They have given me some good ideas for quilts.
    Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM

I have used the bear paw quilt pattern made up with darker colors - or find a print that has fishing and camping type pattern.
    Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

My husband has always loved the Sonora Desert where he lived a couple of years when a young man. We try to go there every winter for a couple of weeks now that we are "retired". We've never kept a quit I've made.... until now. I made him (he helped me design AND sew it... he held the far end while I quilted with my DSM). You'll get a chance to see it in February or March when Patrice puts on the Queen/King applique contest. The colors are bright, with dull ones used for good reasons... it is a picture (oophs, "landscape") and he gave me input the entire way. He is my biggest fan, so don't expect anything THAT great when you see it, but I hope you do see it
    Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Log cabin, irish chain are nice favorites of mine, rail fence as well
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 PM

I agree that most any pattern works if you stay away from feminine fabrics. Find out the color family he likes (blues/grays, earth tones, autumn) and focus on that. Lots of guys seem to like plaids/homespuns.
    Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Quilts for men

Originally Posted by Joan in AK
    What quilt patterns do you make for the men in your life? I would like to make a quilt each for some male family members for Christmas this year. I tried the search engine but must not have phrased it correctly as I didn't get much info on this topic. I liked the search engine on the old board better.
    Thanks
    I made a TV watching quilt for my husband for Christmas last year. There was a quilt on the cover of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting (I think) in Oct. called "pick up sticks". I made it in brown, tan, and beige and turquoise and aqua. The pattern was designed to use 5" squares. The idea is to split the 5" square and sew a one inch strip down the middle (reveal is 1/2"). I used 2 1/2" strips instead, but worked out just the same. It has a brown and tan triangle border and a brown border, backed with flannel. I really like this quilt, colors are very pleasing. And bonus! I ended up with lots of extra for my stash. I am in Kodiak. Where are you? So glad summer is finally here.
    Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 PM

My hubby likes Turning Twenty (me not so much) and other simple block patterns.