Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite quilt patterns for men

Favorite quilt patterns for men

What quilt patterns do you make for the men in your life? I would like to make a quilt each for some male family members for Christmas this year. I tried the search engine but must not have phrased it correctly as I didn't get much info on this topic. I liked the search engine on the old board better.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The quilts that I've made for the men in my life are rather simple. The favorite is a block made of one rectangle and two squares. I then orient the blocks alternating with the rectangle part vertical with the rectangle part horizontal. The quilting is usually an all over swirl or large feather design. I use earthy and darker blue tones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tjradj; 01-09-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add photo
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I have used Take 5 alot and also bow tie and disappearing 9 patch. So far no complaints. Thr bow tie quilt is great for scraps and can be as big or as small as needed

I just saw this post on Facebook.

http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/blo...9/gifts-heart/

Also, I made a Turning Twenty quilt for my hubby and he adores it!

Good luck!
    Michelle

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    for some reason, left brain, right brain...men usually like the snail trail... it is a fibonacci sequence and i think they simply appeal to men more...

Blog Entries
    I don't think it is the pattern so much as the fabric choices. I think as long as you use neutrals, earth tones and stay away from obvious female prints then any pattern should work. I have made the same star pattern for family members and just changed the colours from purples/greens/pinks to various shades of blues.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

QM
    My DH began by liking very dark, rather plain quilts. The one he asked for most recently was a batik NY Beauty. 2 quilts I have made for others have been claimed by him. One was various scrappy greens with very large ladybugs. Another was a totally scrappy quilt. My firstborn asked for one totally colorful Star of Bethlehem and another that was black and white stars with touches of red. My second son left it totally up to me.

I think quilterella is right. I used to make queen sized quilts for my guild to auction. I took top dollar many times, always with a Western theme. Those are really popular around here. A friend always makes deer, elk, and bear themed quilts for the guys in her life (all hunters). In our auctions, the guys often prefer autumn colors, it seems. I think what guys like is highly individual, but I would avoid pastels. At our quilt shows, stars and compasses seem much more popular with guys than Baltimore albums. One friend's husband was really eager to have a compass wall hanging.

The attachment is a segment of my younger son's housewarming quilt. I had trouble finding enough browns for it. It was a hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QM; 01-10-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: another thought

I agree with quilterelle, I use fabric with a theme to match that persons personallaty. I made a quilt for my SIL using a golf print in it, a nascar type print for my other SIL and so on. they all seem to like their quilts.

Blog Entries
    I have made hidden wells in masculine colours and I love how it turned out,
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...FeKriAe8xN34BQ
    Here are the instructions
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hwells.htm
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I have used Turning Twenty and Log Cabin, but I agree, you want to use masculin themed fabrics also.

This is an interesting topic. At our charity Bible camp quilt auction I watch the interest and bids on the quilts and find that the masculine quilts get a lot of bidding action. I am not sure if it is because there are fewer of them or because a lot of people have men in their lives that they are shopping for at the auction. I notice that the popular masculine quilts are not necessarily intricate designs. In fact, simplicity seems to be the best. It is the color and theme that make the difference. Last year I donated a tied quilt made from a lodge theme fabric with fishing and animal scenes where I bordered 8 x10 squares in various shades of plain blues, greens, and browns scrap fabric. It went high at the auction. To me it looked ok, but was nothing that great -- something for a dorm room or "man cave" in my opinion.

Dayle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
    I love the simplicity, yet patterned, look to that one.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I made my husband a quilt using Sweet and Simple by Lavender Lime. It show cased his college team and went together quickly. He love's it. You just use three fabrics and there are 3 different layouts.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. They have given me some good ideas for quilts.

I have used the bear paw quilt pattern made up with darker colors - or find a print that has fishing and camping type pattern.

My husband has always loved the Sonora Desert where he lived a couple of years when a young man. We try to go there every winter for a couple of weeks now that we are "retired". We've never kept a quit I've made.... until now. I made him (he helped me design AND sew it... he held the far end while I quilted with my DSM). You'll get a chance to see it in February or March when Patrice puts on the Queen/King applique contest. The colors are bright, with dull ones used for good reasons... it is a picture (oophs, "landscape") and he gave me input the entire way. He is my biggest fan, so don't expect anything THAT great when you see it, but I hope you do see it

Log cabin, irish chain are nice favorites of mine, rail fence as well

I agree that most any pattern works if you stay away from feminine fabrics. Find out the color family he likes (blues/grays, earth tones, autumn) and focus on that. Lots of guys seem to like plaids/homespuns.
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Quilts for men

Quote Originally Posted by Joan in AK View Post
    What quilt patterns do you make for the men in your life? I would like to make a quilt each for some male family members for Christmas this year. I tried the search engine but must not have phrased it correctly as I didn't get much info on this topic. I liked the search engine on the old board better.
    Thanks
    I made a TV watching quilt for my husband for Christmas last year. There was a quilt on the cover of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting (I think) in Oct. called "pick up sticks". I made it in brown, tan, and beige and turquoise and aqua. The pattern was designed to use 5" squares. The idea is to split the 5" square and sew a one inch strip down the middle (reveal is 1/2"). I used 2 1/2" strips instead, but worked out just the same. It has a brown and tan triangle border and a brown border, backed with flannel. I really like this quilt, colors are very pleasing. And bonus! I ended up with lots of extra for my stash. I am in Kodiak. Where are you? So glad summer is finally here.

My hubby likes Turning Twenty (me not so much) and other simple block patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
    I just saw this post on Facebook.

http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/blo...9/gifts-heart/

Also, I made a Turning Twenty quilt for my hubby and he adores it!

Good luck!
    I made one of those for my DS & he, too loved it! I made mt DH a "Yellow Brick Road" & he loved it. I make quite a few QOV's & my experience has been that guys kind of like simpler patterns.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by deemail View Post
    for some reason, left brain, right brain...men usually like the snail trail... it is a fibonacci sequence and i think they simply appeal to men more...
    It's so funny that you mention "Snail Trail". Not long ago, my DS made some off-hand comment about a quilt & he referred to that pattern. I didn't think he paid a whit of attention to my quilting, but I guess I was wrong!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpawquilter View Post
    I made a TV watching quilt for my husband for Christmas last year. There was a quilt on the cover of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting (I think) in Oct. called "pick up sticks". I made it in brown, tan, and beige and turquoise and aqua. The pattern was designed to use 5" squares. The idea is to split the 5" square and sew a one inch strip down the middle (reveal is 1/2"). I used 2 1/2" strips instead, but worked out just the same. It has a brown and tan triangle border and a brown border, backed with flannel. I really like this quilt, colors are very pleasing. And bonus! I ended up with lots of extra for my stash. I am in Kodiak. Where are you? So glad summer is finally here.
    Would LOVE to see a picture of your DH's quilt... it sounds great!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

How about the Labryinth pattern for 1 of them. You don't need a ton of colors and everyone I hae seen looks great.

I am making a quilt with the twister tool and pattern in homespun. It was just to see if I would like plaids with this pattern. My DH liked it so much he wants it to become a king and use it on our bed. Still trying to figure how I'm going to do that LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast