Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funky Folds? >

Funky Folds?

Funky Folds?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 PM

When I first started growing my stash, I'd wash everything, then I folded all my fabrics with the raw edges together. It was simply easier to fold 4 or 5 yard lengths that way. It wasn't until I bought a bookcase to organize my fabric that I started folding fabric with selvedges together. I realized that they all ended up the same width whether I had half a yard or 3 yards.

This thread reminds me of an incident between my MIL and I years ago. She came to visit and was helping me fold laundry. She insisted on folding the towels a certain way. She could not figure out why I folded them differently. I asked her why she folded the towels her way, and she said because that's how they're SUPPOSED to be folded, that's the way she was taught. I told her I folded them my way because the shelf they sat on was very narrow, and they would fall off into the toilet if I folded them normally. She continued to fold them her way, and I kept my mouth shut and re-folded them after she left the room, lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM

When I worked in a sewing store in the early 90s, apparel fabric was shipped wrong side out for draping on the rounders and quilting fabric was shipped right side out for display on the quilting wall.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 AM

They could have been bought from the flat folds.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 AM

This batik folding has been happening over a long period of time. I have loved batik and worn it for
over thirty years. I didn't know about this for a few years and I had stocked up on batik because
I love it. After the fabric has been dyed it is folded along the centre - selvedge to selvedge - and
placed onto the cardboard and moved around so often that the centre fold is weakened and so gets
very worn. With the design of the dyeing of the batik this does not show up for a few years and
then you find the centre fold just splits. Mostly, we cut our clothes with the centre fold down the
centre of our patterns. I was out one day and looked down to find about fifteen inches of petticoat
showing straight down the centre front. Some are getting older now and I only wear them at home
when sewing. Batik is wonderful to wear it is cool in summer and warm in winter. No one at home
only me. I miss them when they go like losing a friend. lol Gleniveve
Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 AM

Has this fabric been washed?

I was given the suggestion when having large pieces of fabric, to baste the two cut ends together before washing and drying, to keep it from fraying and getting twisted in the washed & dryer....it really does work.

Perhaps they did just that and cut the basted edges off before folding.

Just a thought!!! MaryJane
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 AM

I worked in a fabric dept some years ago. About twice a year we received a shipment of "flat-fold" mill end fabric. It was always folded in one yard folds across the width, then folded in thirds, then in half selvedge to selvedge. This made a nice 12 X22 inch flat fold for display. Of course, the nice folds disappeared as soon as the first customer showed up! Perhaps the fabric you bought was some of this type.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 AM

I remember "in the day" that the better quality fabric was folded right sides together to prevent fading. Also if you were a "dressmaker" that was a great way to get fabric since you have to sew clothing right sides together. Send me the fabric and I will be happy to refold (for me)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM

"
On another note, can anyone explain to me why some fabrics you buy at the quilt shops are folded selvedge to selvedge, but wrong-side out?"
If the wrong side of the fabric is out then there is less damage from light (sunlight, etc.) hitting the fabric. I have a piece of fabric about 2 yards long that is faded about 2-4" wide right along the fold line down the center.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 AM

I used to own a quilt shop. Occasionally the fabric would come in folded inside out. It was hard to show that fabric off. A couple we would take off the board and turn it the right way out. Then we would have the problem of getting back on the board without having that nice solid pressed line that it had when it came in. We quit trying to put it back on the board, as the fabric really looked unusual when it was cut. We just displayed it differently from the regular bolts.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
One reason the fabric was folded with the right side on the inside it to pretect it from fading. Even flouresent lights can fade fabric. In the "old" days all fabrics were folded this way, and to display they unwrap about 18 inches would flip the fabic over the bolt top, making a cascade over the top. It was a beautiful display fabric and you could feel the fabric and see the drape.
When I used to work in Joann's years ago, that's the way fabric was folded, and it made it so much easier to feel the hand of the fabric and see the quality. I wish it was still folded this way. Then I wouldn't have to have to get all the bolts out that I want to look at, and unwind them to see the patterns.